Butternut, Pecan, White oak inf

I'm buying some veneer online. I'm choosing between butternut, pecan and white oak. Since I cannot see them with my own eyes, I'm looking for a site that has some good pics and other info.
The owner has sent me pics, but I can't see the "coarsness" of the grain very well. If anyone has experience with any of these woods could you attempt to describe the grain and texture. Will they all look good with an oil finish?
Thanks
Mitch

They are all pretty coarse. Butternut looks wonderful with oil. Pecan and oak won't change much with just oil.
Is there something in particular you are looking for?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that butternut and pecan were so similar that they were often sold either mixed or as each other.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Perhaps you are thinking of pecan and hickory...butternut is very different from pecan
-- dadiOH ____________________________

You're right - my neurons hiccuped :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down.

I'm looking for 4/4 Pecan. Having lots of trouble finding some. Any help locating it in Illinois?

<smartass>
Did you look between the 3/4 Pecan, and the 5/4 Pecan?
*grin*
</smartass>
"Illinois" is a big area. :)
In metro Chicago, I'd try OWL Hardwoods, in Des Plaines.
Hi Mitch, Try this site. Click on the thumbnail and then hit enlarge when it opens. Cheers, JG
http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/default.php?cPathQ_38
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

JGS said:

Hey, that's interesting. They have a AAA Bird's Eye Walnut Sheet that looks pretty cool. Fairly good photos.
Greg G.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

This is a decent pic of finished butternut as far as color goes http://tinyurl.com/9cmq4 but is not at all representative of grain/texture. Especially texture - much too coarse. However, it *would* be representative of white oak. Butternut grain/texture is very much like that of walnut.
Decent pecan/hickory photo http://tinyurl.com/8krrn