Butternut finish

I'm making a cradle for a friend (helping him actually) and we're wondering about the best finish for butternut. We have some beautiful figured wood that we want to bring out the figure and be safe for the baby (his 1st Granddaughter). I use a lot of Tung oil on my projects but not sure if it's right for a babies cradle. Help. Thank you guys, Al in WA

wondering
it's
Tung oil is safe. So is shellac so you may want to consider putting it over the oil if you like a gloss finish. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I'd go with the shellac over oil as well, but a nice, non-toxic alternative is Tried & True oil.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

There's tung oil and there's tung oil. Unfortunately, what it says on the label isn't always what's in the can. Pure tung oil is safe. Tung oil with heavy metal catalysts in it is not. Check what you buy carefully.
Mike

First off, unless this is a terribly large cradle, you don't have to worry about gnawing the finish -- most babies need moved out to a crib about the time they can turn over. Make sure the finish is dry and "aired out" before putting the cradle in service.
Personally, I like Watco natural on butternut -- pops the figure, keeps the color. Tung oil is probably a good choice too.
hex -30-
I've only recently discovered Butternut. I finished my first project with clear Watco, and it is beautiful. I understand tung oil holds up better, but I haven't used any yet. A local supply house sells 4/4 for 2.50 a board foot, the least expensive wood they have. I'll be using a lot more of it. Dan I the below link doesn't work, copy it into your browser.
http://www.pcisys.net/~dandunphy/graphic/rack_s.jpg

Colorado Springs, CO My advice may be worth what you paid for it.