butterfly splines

Hello All,
Do any of you have any experience with the Amana 14 degree butterfly bit for making splines? I would like to use the splines for joints using a dovetail bit, something like the Hoffmann setup, but not sure how satisfactory they would be.
I know that wood splines as well as the bits can be purchased from Hoffmann but personally feel the prices are exorbitant. To me, $52.00 for a " dovetail bit is unreasonable.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.