butt-joints to veneered board

I'm thinking about building a household cabinet made from maple veneered MDF. The design I've come up with requires some butt joints from the sides onto the bottom of the cabinet. Now, I'm planning to use biscuits for these joints, but I don't know whether to strip the veneer off the surfaces to joint or to leave it in place. Will the strength of the joint be affected by the presence of the veneer layer?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

SonomaProducts.com

That's done all the time and is my favorite method for a basic cabinet. I would consider using pocket holes as a construction method, in addition to the glue.

Look here:

is very quick,strong and makes cabinet work a breeze.

By the way, you can use biscuits and pocket holes together quite easily. The pocket holes allow you assemble much easier than clamps.

Do not remove any veneer prior to assembly.

Peter Lynch wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

If you rabbet the joint you can get into the lower veneer layers and give yourself a dead solid spot to attach. the rabbet will assist in holding the mating piece in place and hide the edge of the mating piece.

Reply to
Leon