butt-joints to veneered board

I'm thinking about building a household cabinet made from maple veneered MDF. The design I've come up with requires some butt joints from the sides onto the bottom of the cabinet. Now, I'm planning to use biscuits for these joints, but I don't know whether to strip the veneer off the surfaces to joint or to leave it in place. Will the strength of the joint be affected by the presence of the veneer layer?
Pete
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .
If it is real wood veener you can leave it as is and use standard glue. If it is laminate, you can use Roo glue. In either case (pun intended) you might be better off cutting a shallow rabbet on the edges of the bottom the width of the sides and maybe 1/4 deep to help with alignment and to get a small bit of edge gluing. You could also then forget the biscuits and if the bottom of the bottom won't be visible, run some screws up into the sides.

That's done all the time and is my favorite method for a basic cabinet. I would consider using pocket holes as a construction method, in addition to the glue.
Look here: http://www.kregtool.com/education_center/index.php
It is very quick,strong and makes cabinet work a breeze.
By the way, you can use biscuits and pocket holes together quite easily. The pocket holes allow you assemble much easier than clamps.
Do not remove any veneer prior to assembly.
Peter Lynch wrote:

If you rabbet the joint you can get into the lower veneer layers and give yourself a dead solid spot to attach. the rabbet will assist in holding the mating piece in place and hide the edge of the mating piece.