Bushing question from rookie

I received some plastic bushings free with my Ryobi Router. I tried one out for the first time, ever, using a template for a handle I'll put on a tray. I used a 1/4 rabbit bit with the 5/16 inch bushing and a template. The bushing worked fine for a bit but as I went, it melted out to about 1/2 inch of the center. I don't have any smaller rabbit bits but I guess that's what I needed.
Are plastic bushings completely useless or was it just me?
Richard

Even the really 'value-engineered', made-in-the-lowest-labor-cost-this- year-country are generally made of something that looks to be brass.
And if you consider the heat generated by spinning a bit through solid wood at, oh, 18,000 rpm, you'll understand that it wasn't likely your technique.
What's indicated, at least for now, is a visit to www.patwarner.com. Then you can figure out what you should do next. Pat is a router guru of the first order, and writes well, too.
Cheer up, and chalk this one up to experience. Nobody bled, right?
Patriarch
patriarch < wrote:

Get some decent aluminum or preferably brass ones, the plastic ones are only good for a very small job & do not stand up to heat for more than a few minutes at best.
--
Jon Down
Need Blades???
Richard A. wrote:

Maybe I didn't adequately understand the question. I have a Sears Craftsman router about 30 years old. The bushings (we're talking about base plate bushings that are used for template routing?) are some kind of fiber fill plastic. They aren't pretty to look at and my PC and Freud routers do have metal bushings but the last problem I've had with the old Sears bushings is melting. How do you get the bushings hot? They just rub against the template. Tell me I missed the whole point.
bob g.
Richard A. wrote:

You're not the only one.
. How do you get the bushings hot?

George wrote:

If he got the bit hot enough to melt the bushing then either (a) it's a spectacularly crappy bushing or (b) there's something badly wrong with the router or (c) there's something important that he's not telling us.
The question that comes to my mind is why he was using a rabbet bit with a template and a bushing. And where he got a 1/4" diameter rabbet bit.

--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

that you use with templates. I "mispoke" when I said rabbet bit (don't ask me why). I mean a simple 1/4 inch bit. The bit fit fine through the plastic guide bushing but was too neat of a fit I guess. Or it could be that I had the bit actually in part of the "bushing extension". In other words, the cutting part of the bit didn't extend all the way past the bushing center guide. It just melted away as I was working. I was using a 1/8" template which I have now figured out should probably be 1/4".
I went out and bought a decent set of brass guides today. FWIW, I intend to take the next Router class available at my local Woodcraft.
When looking for the brass guides. I also say the "roller bushings" that I think you thought I meant. I haven't figured out what those are for yet. So far I've made push sticks, push blocks, a feather board, and a hack job on a jewelry box.
Richard
SOON plan a way to store & identify the router bits that seem to multiply faster than rabbits. Your DON'T want them rattling around in a drawer banging into each other.
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:56:48 -0500, "Richard A."

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome