Burnt shellac

As glue, cure time?

Reply to
Father Haskell

The real question is,"why do you want to use shellac as a glue?"

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Musical instrument construction uses it for wood - metal joints. Reputed to be very strong, no water content, non-hygroscopic, so it won't rust hidden metal surfaces and later fail. It's also a good way to use up expired shellac, which I have no shortage of. Fun stuff to make if you have a pyromaniac streak, end result is a lovely caramel - colored syrup, looks almost good enough to eat.

Reply to
Father Haskell

"Father Haskell"

............ Fun stuff to make if you have a pyromaniac streak, end result is a lovely caramel - colored syrup, looks almost good enough to eat.

OK, but just how is the cooking done please?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

You candle it over an alcohol flame same way you do furniture repair sticks I assume.

Thanks Father Haskell, I didn't know shellac was used that way... good info.. Better than the dumb argument over SawStop...

Reply to
tiredofspam

Accord> > "Father Haskell"

Reply to
J. Clarke

Preferably outdoors, at night, so you can see the otherwise nearly invisible flames. I had a nice, 2 foot fireball over the cake pan. Did a splendid job taking the chill off the evening.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Sorry I am late to this party; I haven't lurked here in a while.

Tage Frid's book describes how to light shellac on fire to to make shellac burn-in sticks.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Useful to know since Woodcraft stopped selling them. I'd love to use them for quick and cheap "inlay."

Reply to
Father Haskell