Burnt shellac

As glue, cure time?
Father Haskell wrote:

The real question is,"why do you want to use shellac as a glue?"
Deb

Musical instrument construction uses it for wood - metal joints. Reputed to be very strong, no water content, non-hygroscopic, so it won't rust hidden metal surfaces and later fail. It's also a good way to use up expired shellac, which I have no shortage of. Fun stuff to make if you have a pyromaniac streak, end result is a lovely caramel - colored syrup, looks almost good enough to eat.
............ Fun stuff to make if you have a pyromaniac streak, end result is a lovely caramel - colored syrup, looks almost good enough to eat.
OK, but just how is the cooking done please?
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
On 10/2/2011 2:30 AM, Jeff Gorman wrote:

says...

According to google you pour orange shellac dissolved in alcohol into a cake pan, light it, and when the alcohol's mostly burned off you cover the pan to put it out.

Preferably outdoors, at night, so you can see the otherwise nearly invisible flames. I had a nice, 2 foot fireball over the cake pan. Did a splendid job taking the chill off the evening.
On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 17:00:00 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

Sorry I am late to this party; I haven't lurked here in a while.
Tage Frid's book describes how to light shellac on fire to to make shellac burn-in sticks.

Useful to know since Woodcraft stopped selling them. I'd love to use them for quick and cheap "inlay."