Burnt Oak Kitchen Work Surface - Help!

My housemate placed a hot pan on our oak worktop. Now there is a large black burn mark on the surface. Should we sand it down and revarnish? Called in a french polisher and he quoted a ridiculous amount and also said that the mark would still be noticeable. Can someone tell me if his is likely?

Reply to
total novice

A "Worktop" should be a surface to work on not a surface subject to scratches or burnmarks. You might consider using Formica or even Stone. If you go through the expense of reworking the Oak and varnishing it it will still be subject to abrasion or heat. Hardly a worktop.

Reply to
Frank Arthur

My housemate placed a hot pan on our oak worktop. Now there is a large black

Called in a

said that the mark

his is likely?

Reply to
loutent

If you sand the whole thing down enough it will be gone. Don't go crazy just sanding that one spot or you'll have a depression there.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

If you have, or can find someone with a match cutting inlay router, find a nice piece of contrasting hardwood [Maple, Cherry]? and make a

1/4" thick decorative inlay over the burnt area. A leaf would make a nice pattern, or a dog, or . .? Bugs
Reply to
Bugs

You could use a torch and char the rest of the surface to match, then sand smooth and finish. It will be darker, but will look nice and will be slightly more tolerant of setting hot things on it.

steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Formica scratches and burns just fine.

While st> A "Worktop" should be a surface to work on not a surface subject to

Reply to
Mike Berger