Burnishing Your Cabinet Scraper

What do you use around the house/shop that works really well to create the burr?

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
samson

The smooth part of a round or rattail file just above the teeth works. If you have an old dull one, you can use a belt-sander to take the teeth off entirely.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

That's a great idea. I'll try that.

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
samson

I've a philips screwdriver with a highly polished round chrome vanadium shaft that works well, close to the handle. It's not much of a screwdriver, but a great burnisher.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

The burnisher I bought from Lee Valley.

Seriously though... If you have a good quality hard chromed socket extension or old engine valve, you can save the money. I don't have either handy near my wood bench, so I bought a burnisher.

Of course, once I bought the burnisher, I ended up knowing at least five people who could have given me a used valve.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

The dial-a-burr burnisher is great, because you can put different angles on different scrapers for specific purposes. I have four scrapers with four angles for rough to finest scrape. Love it.

Use a marker to label the scrapers.

Reply to
George

Got a link for that?

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Nova

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Crank spindle from an old 10 speed. Super-hard steel, and the tapered flats are set at just the right angle for drawing the burr if you hold the spindle level.

Reply to
Father Haskell

"Garage_Woodworks" wrote in news:47bf69f9$0$17350$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Nice job of snipping. I was going to reply with a sarcastic link to Sharpie's website, but gone is the reference to the marker. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

high speed steel drill rod. cheap and easy to come by. when you go to buy it at the machinist' supply, ask for it in hard state. jobber length is fine, 3/8" to 1/2" diameter seems to be about right.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I use an old, smooth, butchers steel. I'm not sure I qualify it as working "really well" but it does OK.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Back of an old Millers Falls 3/4" chisel with the pointy edge ground = off. The transparent red handle gives a good grip, is easy to find on = the sharpening bench, and is pleasing to the eye. The steel is very = satiny smooth and carries oil really well. Works best of any ho-made = burnisher materials I've tried.

--=20 Timothy Juvenal

TJ

Push rod from an overhead valve engine.....rebuilders have buckets of them for free. IM humble experience, high speed steel just isn't hard enough for my best scrapers. DAve

Reply to
Dave W

Credit card.

Then you go to Lee Valley and buy a burnisher. It's no better as a burnisher than any of the myriad bits of hard, smooth steel rod I have around the house. However it does come with a ready-attached handle, which has two advantages:

If you slip with the top of a file, you take a gouge out of your scraper, requiring you to smooth the whole thing out again.

If you slip with a petrol engine valve, you run your fingers along the edge of the freshly sharpened scraper.

So if you insist on making your own, at least take the time out to put a decent handle on the thing!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've used the shaft of a screwdriver (without nickel plating) a hardened dowel pin a ~3mm carbide rod a ~15mm carbide cylinder

The smaller diameter burnishers work well with less pressure, but the large diameters give a very uniform edge

Reply to
whit3rd

Drill a hole in the end of a round dowel (or any handle shaped piece of wood) with a good 1/2" drill bit... shove the drill bit into the hole (butt end sticking out) and you have a hard steel burnishing tool with a handle.

Cheap and effective!

Reply to
toolman946 via CraftKB.com

Sat, Feb 23, 2008, 9:29am snipped-for-privacy@suscom-maine.net (Dave=A0W) doth advieth: Push rod from an overhead valve engine

I was wondering if anyone was gonna come up with that. Works as well as anything, and better than most.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Haven't heard this one yet. I am not a scraper expert, but I have been using the shaft from an old shock absorber.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular