Burning wood with drill press

I bought some 'wood' discs that are about 1" in diameter. I want to drill a 1/4" or so hole in the middle of the disc. Using a 1" forstner bit I drilled a depression in a piece of MDF for the disk to sit in. The disc fits nicely in the depression and I don't have to worry about holding the disc. I tried drilling the middle hole with a 1/4" bit. The drill started nicely but then the disc started spinning and burning the mdf and itself. The disc actually spun onto the bit as the bit was raised up. The hole was a mess. I tried changing to a 1/4" forstner bit hoping the outcome would be different but it was the same.
Other than holding the disc still somehow, is there a way to resolve thie problem? Change the speed of press maybe?
Thomas
Yes, lower the speed and slow down your feed rate during the cut. Helps to also withdraw the bit now and then to stop burning and clear any chips that may wedge the bit and wood together causing it to catch.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser - BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System - Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench - Veritas Basic Grinding Set - Book: Making Workbenches ------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I should have included that the thickness of the disc is 1/4" at the most. I'll try slowing down the press to see if that helps.
Woody wrote:

Yes that worked really well. Unfortunately the disk still rides up with the bit so I have to stop the press and take off the disc, but I was wondering how I was going to get the disc out of the MDF anyway since it was such a tight fit. I nice clean hole at least.
Woody wrote:

Doublestick tape, no hole.

One of the reasons for the hole was that I could easily find the center point of the disc. Drill the hole with the forstner bit, change bit and the hole is centered in the disc. Not sure if I could set up the centering very accurate without the hole, but I'll give it a try.
George wrote:

Yep, that's similar to the idea I had as well. I was just going to use some sort of a tong device, but your idea would work as well.
KS wrote:

Here is how I do it [making wheels for toys]. Drill a 1" hole in a 2" wide board about 16" long. Then cut a thin kerf from the long end into the hole you have drilled. Now, insert the disk into the hole and put one that you have already drilled on top of it. Squeeze the handle to hold the disks from spinning and drill through the center hole. I have made them in several sizes and they work for me. harrym