Burning wood with drill press

I bought some 'wood' discs that are about 1" in diameter. I want to drill a 1/4" or so hole in the middle of the disc. Using a 1" forstner bit I drilled a depression in a piece of MDF for the disk to sit in. The disc fits nicely in the depression and I don't have to worry about holding the disc. I tried drilling the middle hole with a 1/4" bit. The drill started nicely but then the disc started spinning and burning the mdf and itself. The disc actually spun onto the bit as the bit was raised up. The hole was a mess. I tried changing to a 1/4" forstner bit hoping the outcome would be different but it was the same.

Other than holding the disc still somehow, is there a way to resolve thie problem? Change the speed of press maybe?

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Yes, lower the speed and slow down your feed rate during the cut. Helps to also withdraw the bit now and then to stop burning and clear any chips that may wedge the bit and wood together causing it to catch.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser

- BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System

- Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench