Burned up routers...

Well tonight I did it. Burned that sucker up. Funny, it was only 6 months old. It was the Porter Cable 894PK 2 1/4 Horsepower. I was making raised panels for six doors. I figured since it was going to be painted that I would use 3/4 MDF.
Well, first of all a shopvac isn't a very good dust collection system for MDF. Second, the laundry washing liquid Tide isn't really a good dust shield with a shop vac (I cut the bottom open, screwed it to the router base which is a piece of junk anyway and then cut the lid to fit my shop vac hose). It worked till the shop vac filter got clogged.
And finally, using the CMT cabinet bits, I burned my router up. When I smelled something burning, I thought it was the shopvac. No, it was the router. Made it through one more cut, then wammo.. Smoke.
My question is what should I replace it with? Besides a decent dust collector. I'm looking at this Triton 3 1/4 horsepower at Woodcraft. Dewalt has a 3 horsepower as well. I love the Porter Cable though. It was a snap to change bases...
Please flood me with suggestions.. I need to replace it as early as tomorrow. I need to finish a project before Saturday.

I'm very happy with my Milwaukees.... after years and years of PC production routers. If you're thinking a smaller router, get the VS version. 5616.
Astriapo wrote:

all the parts

Raised panels takes allot of HP! Be careful what you replace the PC with, it may not be up to the task either. I would be tempted to repair the 894, or replace it with something similar, and keep it for hand held use. Then buy something a bit more substantial for serious router work. I have a Porter Cable 7539 that is a work horse! 3-1/2 raised panel bits barely slow it down. http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?eT7&p (22 Then for you other problem check out Harbor Freight and their "2 HP" dust collector when it is on sale for $159. Greg
"Astriapo" writes:

<snip>
You sent a boy to do a man's job.
You got what you deserve.
Get a P-C 7518, mount it in a table, set the speed switch to match the max RPM for the bit, and you are good to go.
Lew
Better yet, get the 3 1/2hp Milwaukee that competes with the 7518. I have the 7518 and it is a good router, but th electronic speed control sucks. When you hit that MDF with a raised panel bit, the 7518 slows down and sometimes stalls until the speed control takes over. I saw the Milwaukee demoed at a WW show side by side with the 7518. The Milwaukee never hiccupped once like the 7518. In fact, it was designed to compete with the 7518 and be superior. It is. The price is nearly identical.
I will sell you my 7518 for a good price so I can buy a Milwaukee. It's three years old and seen light duty in my router table - probably 50 raised panel doors (the heavy lifting) and a bunch of light duty stuff like ogee edges, etc....
Bob

bob Wrote:

I'm looking for a router, just visited Milwaukee's website. For the next couple of months if you buy a router they give you a free handheld/palm orbital sander. Download the coupon at Milwaukee's website.
--
joe2

joe2 wrote:

I looked in several places... I went to Woodcraft and they sold their last one in September and said it was a deleted item... I ended up getting the PC 7518. I needed a router to finish a project by Saturday.
I'm under the wire on this one... Only two panels left to rout. and then shelves.. and I am done....

Didn't you say its 6 months old? PC warranty good for 1 or 2 years?
Jack wrote:

I thought about that, but wasn't sure if tool neglect would count against me. I did burn it up using a bit to big for it.. I dunno...
I will check though..
Astriapo wrote:

If I ever make raised panel stuff I'm seriously considering using a bit like this, where the bit is only 1" dia instead of 3":
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p0115&cat=1,46168,46178&ap=1
I'm also surprised you had issues with MDF and shopvacs. I made a fence with a port for the shopvac at the back, and as long as I have an opening in the fence it pretty much sucks everything through.
If the two halves of the fence are shut then its useless of course...
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

I have a raised panel bit that is a vertical as well, but the thing is, I don't have a router table with a guard or fence. The table I have came from some sidewalk sale in the neighborhood. It didn't even have instructions. So I didn't have anything to slide the panels against. I guess I could have screwed something together, but clamping to this thing isn't that easy. Its an old Craftsman metal router table. As for the dust collection, I captured some of the dust, but not all.. No not even 20%. My make shift dust shoot, worked to keep the wood being routed clean, but everything else got hammered. I'm talking dust through out the basement. Also, the shop vac is only a nine gallon.

You have a 3" Diameter vertical raised panel bit?? The whole point of the vertical bits is to Reduce the diameter so that raised panel bits can be used in lower powered routers.

You ran a panel FREEHAND past a raised panel bit in a table mounted router?! Probably lucky the only thing that happened was burning up the router!

No it is smaller, I just don't have a fence.

Yes. My first test piece flew across the room, after getting the feel of the dynamics I held tight and let it ride the barring on the bit. I know... STUPID... believe me I know...

Aiiiiiiiieeeeeee!!!
Join two bits of straight wood at 90 degreesto make a fence. Clamp to the table. Pull one end slowly into the moving bit. You now have a fence with an inset for the bit. DO NOT run the panel between the fence and the bit!

Works very well. You do have some support issues with the panel - you need an extra tall fence. I've used mine in a DW621.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I once saw an article about a router table where the router was held horizontally above the workpiece. Might work well for something like this.
Chris

Above the workpiece is bad, as you have Trapped the workpiece between the table and the bit. You can do it horizontaly with the bit inset in the surface of the table.
Get a shaper and learn how to use it! If you would take apart your router and look at the bearings and electrical components it should become clear that a router was not designed to swing big bits for panel raising. This is done much quicker, safer and with far less stress on the shaper. Many people are under the mistaken belief that a router table can take the place of a shaper. I'd argue a router table is a mini shaper, basically for use with work too small for a shaper.

You? Horsepower I got the Milwaukee 5616 pretty happy with it like it using it both hand and table.
I like the Triton myself but not knowing I'd search for the most powerful bastard I could find with the best Warranty!