burled wood - what's it worth?

Well, after getting my great deal on the oak and poplar timbers, I was doing some budget couselling last night for a guy who does tree removal. We started talking about the types of trees he cuts down and the fact tha woodworking was a hobby of mine. He cuts most of his hardwoods into firewood so I asked him to reserve for me, uncut, any large clear hardwood trunks, 5-10' in length which he said he would do for me.
Anyway, as we're talking he started asking about trunks with deformities - big bumps or goiters growing out of them. He had been cutting them off and chopping them into firewood as well. He had one uncut from a maple tree - nice chunk of burl - about 28" x 16" eliptical half disk, about 4 inches thick in the trunk-side center.
I got it for $10.00
So, how do I prepare it for use? What would I use to slice it into table top or veneer?
Any idea how much this stuff goes for? I says he gets a lot of tree goiters and If I want them I can have them. Feedback appreciated.
tillman
Ask in the wood turning group they work with burls on a regular basis. Puf

Sounds like a gloat to me. But if not it should be at least a neener. Larry