Bum toilet seat

A number of years ago I made a wooden toilet seat from some really nice tiger maple.

The finish is still great on it except for one place about an inch long where the lid touches the tank top...the tank top protrudes slightly and has worn not only the lid finish but the wood itself.

One of these days I'm going to refinsh the lid and am looking for ways to avoid the lid/lid wear. About all I can think of is to stick on something soft - like a soft plastic table foot - to the front of the tank top. That would work OK but not look great. Any other ideas?

Reply to
dadiOH

Clear, self-adhesive cabinet door/drawer bumpers? I put one of those near the top of a bathroom door casing to keep from scarring the adjacent upper cabinet door. If I ever noticed it, I quickly forgot it.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

Aside from the looks, there's the risk that it will cause the seat and lid to fall down unexpectedly. We used to get that when extremely wide magazines were left on top of the tank. My husband says it can be quite alarming to see the seat start to fall--the hand he's inclined to use to prevent its fall is already in use.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Reshape the seat? Or does it have to touch the tank to stay up?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Paste a piece of flat rubber over the defect.

Reply to
LSMFT

Where did you find the plans? ;~)

Reply to
DGDevin

Right.

Reply to
dadiOH

:)

Reply to
dadiOH

That's not a bad idea, need more tiger maple though.

Reply to
dadiOH

On top of my tiger maple? *NEVER*

Reply to
dadiOH

No place. It all started when I redid a bathroom in the condo we were living in at the time. New bathroom needs a new seat, right?

Right. Bought a nice oak one, it split in no time. No good way to clamp it to draw it together so I put in a spline. That worked OK but I kept thinking, "Why do they make a seat that is designed to fail, I could do better?". So I did.

The old one had boards that had been edge joined then a hole cut out. Lot of weight on the joints, nothing to support some of them. I made mine with half lap joints, the underside bumpers supported all. It worked so well I made 16 of them one time as Christmas gifts for friends. All koa (I lived in Honolulu at the time). Beautiful.

We still have one of koa plus two tiger maple plus one of walnut with a burl top.

Reply to
dadiOH

-snip-

No Birch? I'm calling the Birch John Society to report you.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I knew it would just be a matter of time before we flushed out the bad puns.

Reply to
Robatoy

I wouldn't waste my time with puns.

Max

Reply to
Max

You're plumb crazy but probably feel trapped because no one ever tanks you.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

tick on something

You could replace the tank top with a wooden one, carved to the seat contour. There are vinyl trim moldings (for cars) that could affix to the tank below the top, that could be regarded as a decorative bumper. Or, you could rebuild the seat support so as to make the first ever toilet seat that flips up to the side...

Reply to
whit3rd

See Tiger Woods maybe....

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Get a short roll of 3M 8672 from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty for 20 bucks. Comes black or clear. It's less than .01 inch thick and is designed to protect airplane parts from flying dust--it's very, very, very durable. Cut a little button of it and put it in the appropriate place--personally I'd use the black to make it an accent. It's thin enough that it won't interfere with operation, durable enough that you're not going to wear it out, and the rest of the roll is a handy thing to have around.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Either a stick-on bumper or a tiny dab of clear silicone...if the silicone doesn't go on absolutely smoothe, it can be shaved down with a razor blade. Or make a small stencil and just apply a couple of extra coats of clear finish on the spot that touches the tank.

Maple toilet seat? What luxury :o)

Reply to
norminn