Bum toilet seat

Page 1 of 2
A number of years ago I made a wooden toilet seat from some really nice tiger maple.
The finish is still great on it except for one place about an inch long where the lid touches the tank top...the tank top protrudes slightly and has worn not only the lid finish but the wood itself.
One of these days I'm going to refinsh the lid and am looking for ways to avoid the lid/lid wear. About all I can think of is to stick on something soft - like a soft plastic table foot - to the front of the tank top. That would work OK but not look great. Any other ideas?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Clear, self-adhesive cabinet door/drawer bumpers? I put one of those near the top of a bathroom door casing to keep from scarring the adjacent upper cabinet door. If I ever noticed it, I quickly forgot it.
Dave in Houston

Aside from the looks, there's the risk that it will cause the seat and lid to fall down unexpectedly. We used to get that when extremely wide magazines were left on top of the tank. My husband says it can be quite alarming to see the seat start to fall--the hand he's inclined to use to prevent its fall is already in use.
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

:)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Reshape the seat? Or does it have to touch the tank to stay up?
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Right.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe a different mount assembly, then? One that will hold the seat up on its own?
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:33:42 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

I bought a nice Kohler terlit and it's built to handle a thick, padded seat, which I promptly installed. _I_ don't freeze my butt in the morning, thankyouverymuch. Better terlits have a deeper space between the tank and seat bold pattern, so all seats stay up, plain and padded. I liked the oblong Kohler because of the deep bowl. I no longer go trolling in that cold water. <g> Having the padded seat stay up was a nice freebie.
------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online -------------------------------------------------------------
dadiOH wrote:

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
LSMFT wrote:

On top of my tiger maple? *NEVER*
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Where did you find the plans? ;~)
DGDevin wrote:

No place. It all started when I redid a bathroom in the condo we were living in at the time. New bathroom needs a new seat, right?
Right. Bought a nice oak one, it split in no time. No good way to clamp it to draw it together so I put in a spline. That worked OK but I kept thinking, "Why do they make a seat that is designed to fail, I could do better?". So I did.
The old one had boards that had been edge joined then a hole cut out. Lot of weight on the joints, nothing to support some of them. I made mine with half lap joints, the underside bumpers supported all. It worked so well I made 16 of them one time as Christmas gifts for friends. All koa (I lived in Honolulu at the time). Beautiful.
We still have one of koa plus two tiger maple plus one of walnut with a burl top.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

No Birch? I'm calling the Birch John Society to report you.
Jim

One would almost be ashamed to put such a work of art to such a, err, basic use. Photos?
Smitty Two wrote:

That's not a bad idea, need more tiger maple though.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

See Tiger Woods maybe....
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Keep the seat and replace the wretched toilet. Sounds to me like a crappy design.
Joe

I knew it would just be a matter of time before we flushed out the bad puns.

I wouldn't waste my time with puns.
Max
On 4/28/2010 1:37 PM, Robatoy wrote:

You're plumb crazy but probably feel trapped because no one ever tanks you.