bullnose rabbet plane

I recently picked up an ebay stanley bullnose rabbet plane. Item number: 230105333324 it came today. first impression: Man is this thing crude. the fitting surfaces between the 2 halves of the body are rough castings, unmachined, painted black. now, the fit between those 2 parts determines whether or not the bit of the sole in front of the blade is in plane with the main part of the sole behind the blade. so as it is, I can't lap the sole without first milling the ways... and my mill is in storage and won't be out for months. Aaaargggh.
contrast that with the Veritas medium shoulder plane I just got, which is very precisely machined out of the box....
On Mar 29, 8:22 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Their bullnose plane is top notch as well. I especially like the depth stop for the removeable nose. It makes it a snap to put it back in place with a nice tight mouth without hitting the blade. It's really an excellent feeling - and working - tool for me. JP
anybody have a good web resource for fettling one of these things?
here it is on blood and gore: <http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm about halfway down. #75 Bull nose rabbet plane.
prolly I'll do minimal fettle and see how it runs before committing to milling the ways. this thing won't really benefit too much from being dialed in too tight.
On 29 Mar 2007 17:22:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That's not a plane, it's a paint scraper with a depth stop.
Handy little gadgets (they're excellent for cleaning the paint out of sash window frames), but they're barely a woodworker's tool.
On Mar 30, 12:22 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It is more useful to tell us the Stanley number than the Ebay number.
The Stanley #75 is, and almost always was, a low-cost, lower quality alternative to other bullnose planes like the Stanley 90-94.
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html
--
FF

On Mar 30, 4:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

at the time of my first post I didn't have the stanley number. I was hoping someone would look at the ebay auction and ID the 'lil bastard. as it turned out, I was able to spot it on Pat's site.

as Andy said, "That's not a plane, it's a paint scraper with a depth stop. "

The plane you got from ebay is a Stanley #75, which was the cheapest, most simple toss-it-in-the-tool-box rabbet plane of it's day. Common uses would have been cleaning up rabbets in window frames, or rabbet work in carpentry.
It was intentionally designed with the front sole was a hair above the rear portion. BTW they are still in production by Stanley in the UK and retail for around $35.00 For a fair comparison with your Veritas look at a Stanley 90, 92, or 93.

They're currently available from Amazon for $20.34:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

remove ".invalid".

That's a really good price. If I didn't already have 2 old ones, I'd definitely buy one now!
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.