built-in bookshelves

I am going to build some built-in bookshelves in my family room. I'd would like to have 14" deep cabinets at the base, from the top of the cabinets I want 12" or 13" deep shelves to the ceiling (8ft ceilings). Will the cabinets support the weight of the shelves when loaded with books?
What is the configuration, the material and width of the cabinet?

That depends upon a number of factors: How wide are the shelves going to be? What are they going to be made out of? Are they going to be fixed or movable? This web site will give you an idea of the "sag" to width ratio and some idea of the rigidity of sheet goods vrs hardwood vrs softwood etc. : http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm Hope that helps. bc

How long is a piece of string?

one key datapoint you were missing in your post was the span of unsupported shelf.
--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,

Current issue of FWW (dated April 2007, issue # 190 ) has a cover story and 6 pages of text on "Building Better Bookcases" Its all you need to know. Joe G
Thanks.