Building the spruce goose OT and revisited

I recall a guy named Mongo who hit the Wreck many years ago. IIRC, he and his brother were eccentric, supposedly very wealthy, and were wanting to build a wooden airplance much like Howard Hughes. Does anyone remember him and has anyone heard whether or not he did it? (or was he using David Eisen's Makita to make spam sausage?) LOL!
Jummy Minwax Mac
Jimmy Mac wrote:

"Cosmo Lengro". His brother was Mongo. One had the impression that his other brothers were Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo.

--John
J. Clarke wrote:

All I know is what I find with Google. Search google groups finds a lot of messages ending in 1999. Doubt the Spruce Goose 2 ever flew.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

Spruce Goose 1 barely flew.

Whenever anyone mentions the Spruce Goose, the discussion often ends up with the Mosquito RAF bomber. AKA as 'The Timber Terror' or 'The Wooden Wonder'. One of my all-time favourite aircraft and one of the reasons wood is my blood. (Those and the Morgan cars.) What you can't do with timber, ply, and canvas.
Angela bought me a nice coffee-table book all about Ford's history of 'Woody's' This one, although a Plymouth, is one of my favourite:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/1949PlymouthWoodness.jpg
Anyway, I digress. The Mosquito, equipped with 57 mm cannons , towards the end of the war, would even take out submarines. IMHO, de Havilland's best work (aside of course from the AVRO Arrow...damned politics...)

By any chance, are you from Canada?

Give the winner here a banana!
JohnD wrote:

I'm not and I agree. In "True North" the dog was named Diefenbaker. Terrible name for a dog.
But the Arrow was from Avro, not the DeHavilland. Not that it matters, they're all gone now.
--John

Ah, I believe you mean "Due South"
--
Frank Stutzman

Frank Stutzman wrote:

You're right. At least I remembered that there was a direction in the title.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

I loved that show, but wasn't it called "Due South"?
B A R R Y wrote:

At least I didn't confuse it with "Northern Exposure".
--John
says...

Entirely wrong kind of dog for that name.
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/diefenbaker_cp_4738336.jpg
phorbin wrote:

Geez, I may print that one out and use it for a Halloween mask.
--John

http://sonofbillbrasky.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/bush_monkey.jpg