Building the roll part of a roll top desk

Hi,
I have several questions pertaining to building the roll part of a top roll desk.
1. What to glue the would onto the canvas with? Someone in this group recommended to me contact cement. Just want to confirm that this is a good idea.
2. Must the canvas be stretched tight as the pieces are being placed it? If yes, how tightly?
3. How much of a problem will it be there's a little bit of stainer and polyurethane on the underside? How much care should I take to sand it off?
Very many thanks in advance!
Aaron Fude
Contact cement is ok, but the canvas will need several coats. The canvas doesn't need to be streached tight, just the wrinkles out. A little of stain is no big deal, the cenent will hold. >
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

1) Yes, contaact cement.
It's called tambour construction.
2) No, not really.
Here's a decent article:
http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/archives/mar_apr_03/html/majorproject/mp_tambours.htm
3) I don't think a small amount of stain on the underside of the slats will hinder adhesion.
Contact cement will work. I've also used white Elmer's glue with very good results. Stretch the canvas so that there's no wrinkles in it. It may be too tight, after gluing, to travel in a 'S' curved tambour shape. If so, you may have to stretch the canvas by lightly spraying some water on it. No problem with a little stain or poly on the underside.