Building my own [wood] suitcase

I'd like very much to build my own wooden suitcase, complete with dedicated compartments and all the hardware: bronze protective corner maske, stay-open hinge, handle and lock (preferable by key). * Has onyone attempted this (with success)? * Where can I buy the specific hardware (online only, thanks)? Thank a lot, Max

Lee Valley has a lot of chest hardware. www.leevalley.com
If you plan to use it with the airlines, check regulations. You are not allowed to lock your luggage and they will cut them to open if need be. Ed

That has been changed. There are now specific locks that can be used which have codes that can be opened if they want to inspect your luggage. Then they have to put a notice inside that they inspected your luggage and a new tag on the outside. The locks have to have a special mark on the outside along with the code to unlock them. Manditory!
It was in this weekends papers about the TSA allowing these changes since folks wanted better security for their luggage and contents.
--
Regards,
JP