Building Kitchen Cabinets

Page 2 of 2
George, what did you mean by "be careful in your inside corners"?
dave
George M. Kazaka wrote:

snip
It's impractical to respond to all messages but I needed to reposnd to you, Geroge, because you hit the nail on the head! My wife has so much, well, CRAP, that one of the big reasons I want to put in new cabinets is to increase storage. She pile those top shelves full...and then call me at work some morning whining that she can't find something and she thinks it's in the back corner on the top shelf. And it's too high for her to reach. And she's NOT going to reach for it. I will need to get it as soon as I get home and that will ruin blah, blah, blah.
I get yelled at because I cook, too. And I buy a lot of stuff. She just doesn't understand that cooking is like woodworking: the right tool for the right job makes life easier and the experience more enjoyable. If it were up to her, I would still be using the butterknife she and her mother used as a screwdriver.
But I don't care...I like your idea. I actuall have enough room between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling to put either an additional shelf inside the cabinet or even install an additional door, maybe even, and have separate cabinets above the cabinet. Sort of gives me a reason to try and make doors with glass in them, even.
I will say that I am thinking about cheating a little and ordering the doors and drawer fronts. I am ambitious but I don't have oodles of time at this point. Plus it seems to me that those pieces are the hardest ones.

Kid I worked with and his father both were woodworkers with Unisaws and in remodel thay decided to make cabinets and but doors. I made pull out drawers for cabinets above fridge and oven with low front/sides that make reclaiming items MUCH easier than before.
On 10 Nov 2003 11:08:13 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@thesafety.net (Ray Kinzler) wrote:

Ray, I'm on your side. I started a similar project from zero (I mean zero tools and zero capital) So I'd like to exchange experiences about the experiences in facing such a project. You can reach me at snipped-for-privacy@matusa.com.mx Good luck! Faustino
On 10 Nov 2003 06:45:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@thesafety.net (Ray Kinzler) wrote:

I get the feeling this isn't a popular book, but I bought it years ago and it got me through my first "real" woodworking project.
"Building Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" by Jere Cary
On 10 Nov 2003 06:45:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@thesafety.net (Ray Kinzler) wrote:

that I have allready. For $7.95 take a look at the Cabinetmaking Seminar at http://www.woodonline.com . Very basic stuff. You will need more books, but this is a good start. Good Luck
I found "Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" by Danny Proulx to be a pretty good book..