building cyclone - impeller & motor questions

I've been reading http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/CyclonePlan.cfm
and plan on making my own cyclone and blower.
My questions are for anyone who has actually done this.
In the process of deciding which combination of impeller and motor to use, there are several factors. Price and ease of assembley probable being the two most important.
I would like to use the less expensive 14" Jet DC1900 impeller. I can't find exact specs, though, on it's arbor. I've read that it's metric, and won't exactly fit any motor easily.
I am interrested in the Leeson 5HP motor. It has a 5/8" arbor. Exactly how are the 2 mated together? I really don't want to monkey around with this too much. I'd rather not have alternate arbors machined, etc. Is there an easy solution?
Thanks for any advice, Sam
--
please remove @com.com and change att and dott to @ and .

Thanks, Sam (trying to minimize spam)
Sam Shank wrote:

<snip>
Just to make sure you've seen it... There's more information on the Kits page. http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/ClarkesKits.cfm
Scroll down to the Impeller Hubs paragraph. HTH.
-- Mark
The Leeson 5-HP motor has a C-face mounting and a 7/8" shaft, not a 5/8" as you stated. The impeller from Sheldon's Engineering that is on the same site as you cite (no pun intended :-) ) costs about $160 delivered, depending on destination and has a 7/8" keyed shaft that mates well with the motor.
The Jet impeller needs a new hub. You can use a weld-in hub but need a skilled welder who can keep the hub true and centered while welding (there is a small difference in diamter between the hole in the Jet impeller's backplate and the 2.00" diameter of the weld-in hub). I supply a weldable hub as well as a split-tapered bushing for the Jet for $45 (no shipping charge if ordered with a blower housing) or $60 if ordered separately, including shipping (and you still have to weld it in. You're way ahead to use the Sheldon's impeller and forget the Jet because you'll have a lot less hassle getting it together.
The housing I produce is all steel and described on Pentz's site. The kit has a LOT of work into it and is a better choice if you're looking for a good result without punishing yourself. No sane person would want to do the layout work necessary nor can you do the precision cutting in the cyclone kit with hand tools. Even experienced HVAC guys ask why a sane person would attempt to cut and assemble from flat sheet when the kit has so many convenient advantages.
See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadidR20
and http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/ClarkesKits.cfm
Clarke
Sam Shank wrote:

I just received one of Clarke's kits. I'll back up his statement about the amount of work that's been done to produce them. Mine is still partially in the packaging (nice stuff job, BTW), but the pieces I've removed are fabricated with precision. And the assembly intructions are detailed to a gnat's hair.
I'm planning to use all the recommendations made by Clarke Echols and Bill Pentz with my DC system.
John Sellers
and change att and dott to @ and .

I mean INSTRUCTIONS - whoops.

pieces