Building a wet bar

I've looked at the numerous $20 plans on the net, and I'm just trying to get an idea of a typical construction.
Do most people build a "base" of 2x4, then cover with paneling, or are most wet bars stand alone cabinet based construction?
People who want something cheap and durable go for the paneling over a 2x4 base. The framing is going to be covered anyway, so any method that will hold it together should do. It will be a bit heavier in case folks get rowdy.
If the wet bar is placed in a more formal environment and has to look like "furniture" then cabinet-based construction is more likely. Its use would be more typically as a service point to distribute drinks rather than a counter that people would sit around.

When we build them, the lower bar (with the sink) is built as a cabinet(s). The upper bar may be framed (or we may build it) and covered with anything from 1/4" plywood to a solid raised panel front. Just depends on the design you like and how much you want to spend.
You could also use manufactured cabinets for the lower bar and then build the upper bar around them.
Mike O.