Building a treehouse in the redwood grove of a neighbor (pics included)

Page 3 of 3

"Danny D." wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote, on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:29:57 -0700:

Times two cables, which is 5,600 pounds, at least. :)
If you have a long cable and pull on the middle of it 90 degrees to the cable, and pull it 12 inches out, you would move the end of the cables about an inch. That means you have 21 to 1 mechanical advantage.
Now you take your de-rated cable at 5,6000 pounds, and divide that by 12. 5,600/12 = 467 pounds before safety limits are exceeded and the possibility of catastrophic failure. That is how much can be supported if it does not pull the trees over, which it probably will.
I agree with many others here. If this project continues, we will read about a tragedy in the papers. NO joke.