building a timber staircase

I am building a house and want to build a timber style stair case. The height from subfloor to subfloor is 114.5". How do I figure out how many treads to use, my overall horizontal length (run?) etc... What about different joinery technics. The simplest I can think of big lag bolts through the stringers into the treads and the advantage would be being able to tighten everthing as the lumber dries since it will be green. The lumber will be 4 X 12 pine (stringers and treads) and the inside tread width is 40". Are there any websites that deal with this. Thanks for any help.

I don't know where you're located, but the first place most of us would have to check is with the local building department. For instance, a common code adopted is for a minimum tread depth of 9 inches and a maximum riser height of 8 inches. There are additional codes for the minium headroom, handrail location, minimum stair width, consistency of riser height and tread depth, etc. So, check with the local officials first.
todd
habbi wrote:

See the articles listed at:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=stair+layout&btnG=Google+Search