Building a storage shed

Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds. Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.
Geo wrote:

What part of the country (world) will it be located in?
-Jim
jtpr wrote:

Southwest Ohio

In places with no shaking or wind concerns I have seen them simply bury concrete blocks below the sod line to the clean dirt and build on them. (Southern Md) There are barns and sheds that are 100 years old and built like this. Once you hit that bank run gravel it is like concrete tho.

Most sheds do not have a foundation at all. They, like the one I built, have a wood floor, set on 2 - 2"x 6" PT beams. They set on a concrete slab that is part of a little used driveway.
If I could not set it on concrete, I would lay 5" thick -1" crushed rock base.
Dave

The shed I built (in SW Ohio) sits on treated 4x4's. It's 14 x 14.
This gives me the option of having it easily moved if I ever need to, and it's not considered a permanant structure so I didn't need to worry about permits/code.

The best book anybody can buy, costs about 20 bucks or so, or get at the library is "Low Cost Pole Building Construction". I'm on my second copy as I wore out the first one. You will learn more about building everything from sheds to barns to small houses that you ever imagined.

PS: it even has plans for some sheds, barns and houses and I just looked, my new copy was $14.95 from Amazon.

6-12" below the frost line. Otherwise you will need to level it every spring.
Bob McConnell N2SPP
> Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds. > Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will > be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.
If you build this shed as a skid mounted device resting on some simple concrete blocks at midpoints and corners, you will save money on taxes as well as not having to meet local building codes since it can't be considered a permanent structure.
Lew