Building a secret room

Thu, Mar 8, 2007, 8:25pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Jeff) doth puzzedly query: Where do you live? Why do you need this level of security?

  1. You aven't been paying attention. It's not me wanting a secret room.
  2. What the Hell makes you think I'd tell you where I live?

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

From: Australopithecus scobis

How do women in need find it? ;)

Reply to
flip+

I understand it's not your secret room but you've conjured features that struck me as odd - features I would never consider. So if your nieghborhood experience makes you ponder things like a reinforced safe room with a battery backup, etc., then I'd like to avoid it. Therefore, it would be nice to know its general location...

Although I have a pretty good sketchy meter so I'd probably avoid it by instinct alone.

Reply to
Jeff

Fri, Mar 9, 2007, 9:56am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Jeff) doth clarify with: I understand it's not your secret room but you've conjured features that struck me as odd - features I would never consider. So if your nieghborhood experience makes you ponder things like a reinforced safe room with a battery backup, etc., then I'd like to avoid it. Therefore, it would be nice to know its general location... Although I have a pretty good sketchy meter so I'd probably avoid it by instinct alone.

Ah, you shoulda said. Part of it at least comes from working on real life emergency action plans for about 4 1/2 years while in the Army. You've got to thnk abou what might/could happen - in real life, and get it covered - which usually takes a lot of research and checking. And I didn't even touch on the really good stuff.

Years back the nuclear power plant near here wrote an emergncy plan. Evacuate everyone within a radius of about 20 miles from the plant in about12 hours, injured to local hospitals, etc. Years back the command I was with in Germany tried a drill to evacuate dependents if they had to in case of war. A few hundred families, 3-4 mile area, git r dun in about 4 hours, no prob. Three weeks later they were still finding where people lived, and this was with knowing their addresses in advance.

So it's not my neighborhood experienc that makes me think of things like that, it's real life, and past military experience. I live in a quiet area, on a loop road, maybe 2-3 miles outside of a small town.

I just figure if you're gonna do something like that, do it right. I don't need anything more than the low-tech verson myself. If the power goes I've got candles, matches, and flashlights. I've got a cell phone I carry in case I have vehicle trouble - not sure if it'd work in a complete power outage tho. My son's dog alerts me to strangers. And I'm home most of the time and I keep a wonder nine handy.

OK, yeah, I'll give you my general location so you can avoid it, no problem, happy to oblige. I live south of Washington D.C., and east of the Mississippi River.