Building a router table....need suggestions.

I'm building a router table and the main working surface area is 21.5" deep by 36" wide. My question is this: Where is the best place to locate the adapter plate? Should it be in the exact center or is it better to have it set about 2/3 away from the front? Just didn't know if there were any pros or cons to either. Thanks for your suggestions. Screamn1

Reply to
Palmer

I prefer closer to the front. I do not like leaning over. That said, I use a Bench Dog Router table and the bit is about 9" form the front edge of the table. If you need more room you can always turn the fence around and work from the other side.

Reply to
Leon

Here's what I did, although my table's a bit bigger (I sized it to the Incra jig's requirements):

DJ Delorie

Whatever you do, be sure to leave enough room to slide the fence all the back to clear the adaptor plate so you remove the router from the table. I made the mistake of locating mine too far back and I have to remove the fence to get the router out. Of course, that mistake will be corrected on version 3.6253 of my home built quickie router table. I just tend to want to build stuff with the table rather than do more work on the table.

Bob Davis houston, Texas

Reply to
Bob

Whatever you do, be sure to leave enough room to slide the fence all the back to clear the adaptor plate so you remove the router from the table. I made the mistake of locating mine too far back and I have to remove the fence to get the router out. Of course, that mistake will be corrected on version 3.6253 of my home built quickie router table. I just tend to want to build stuff with the table rather than do more work on the table.

Bob Davis houston, Texas

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Palmer

Towards the front.

If you put it in the center, you have to lean over every time even for thin strips of wood. The back section is of little value aside from holding the fence.

If you place it towards the front, it is easy to reach when putting a thing strip through. Now, you have a wide panel to rout. Just work from the opposite side and you have a nice wide platform to hold the big panel steady.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I presume that you will fabricate a fence to guide the wood past the router bits. If that is the case the closer towards the rear of the table you place the router the more surface you have to support large pieces of wood. Yet on the other hand, if you expect to mostly use router bits with ball bearing on them then you might want to consider placing the router in the center of the table especially if you will be routing irregular shaped items.

I suppose you could make two removable tops to facilitate either need.

That's my "cut" on it !

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

"Palmer" wrote in news:7SkFd.5634$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Mine is towards the front...bit center is ~8" from the edge. On the very rare occasions I need more support for a wide piece, I just turn the fence around & work from the back of the table.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

John Carlson