Building a porch

I am considering building a porch for the front of my house and have a question that I hope you all can help with.
The front is brick. My question concerns attaching the ledger board that supports the roof to the house through the brick. Presuming the ledger rests against the brick and is attached to the 2nd floor rim joist via holes through the brick is there a risk that any sagging could damage the brick and possibly cause the brickwork above the porch roofline to come loose? Or is it best to somehow remove the brick where the ledger goes and attach it directly to the rim thereby having the brick for the upper portion rest on the ledger for support?
As always, thanks in advance.
Geo
Since most brick is applied as a brick veneer, how about supporting the ledger on posts to support the vertical load? The posts can then be covered in half-columns to hide them visually. The half-column facades would match the freestanding posts at the front of the porch. Without being able to cantilever the ledger support into the second floor joists, I would not recommend supporting it on a brick veneer and adding a few bolts into the rim joist. A porch like this amounts to a sail mounted horizontally. Need to tie down the back edge so that wind forces don't rip it off the face of the house. Steel posts set into concrete piers is the way to go.