Building a porch

I am considering building a porch for the front of my house and have a question that I hope you all can help with.

The front is brick. My question concerns attaching the ledger board that supports the roof to the house through the brick. Presuming the ledger rests against the brick and is attached to the 2nd floor rim joist via holes through the brick is there a risk that any sagging could damage the brick and possibly cause the brickwork above the porch roofline to come loose? Or is it best to somehow remove the brick where the ledger goes and attach it directly to the rim thereby having the brick for the upper portion rest on the ledger for support?

As always, thanks in advance.

Geo

Reply to
Geo