building a laundry chute

Page 2 of 2

On 17 Jun 2005 14:50:50 -0700, the opaque snipped-for-privacy@advatechpacific.com spake:

I'd prolly use a couple sections of 12-18" sewer pipe.
------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
On 16 Jun 2005 09:37:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I imagine that would work really well. Mine is in the bathroom, and is simply a door hinged at the bottom that is mounted directly to the wall. The clothes drop down the 6" gap between the drywall on either side of the wall, and the chute is lined with hardboard. The sucker isn't even straight (there is a 2" lip at the bottom where it enters the basement because of a floor joist) and it works fine- what you've got drawn up is a Cadillac by comparison.
I'd recommend building it from MDF and lining it with galvanized metal, making sure all seams are smooth. The edges can be soldered. Or, you can line the tube with vinyl flooring. Drywall won't hold up to wet towels.
May have missed other replys so........ Use a SonaTube thats large enough for your needs.I put one in my house 20+years ago. No problems with moisture as every thing just ends up in the basement..... ohhohh/// laundry room. :)

here's an "unanswer". don't install a chute, install a drain. That way you put the washer/dryer near the stream of clothes... where it belongs.
If we ever convert our back bedroom (2nd floor) to a dressing room, that's the plan... the "all things clothes" room. ;)
fwiw, our clothes chute growing up was wood.... perhaps plywood.
--
be safe.
flip

Yeah, SonoTubes are only SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS EACH.
-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. -- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ===========================================================