Building a guitar.

I know this is an electric guitar inquiry... but I trust you guys opinions more than the metal heads on other forums.
I'm having a rear routed dual humbucker tele built. It will have a walnut body and a quilted maple top. what type and color of stains and/or dye would you use for the walnut and the quilted maple? (individually or together...)
feel free to suggest anything else.
-David.

I wouldn't stain or dye walnut or quilted maple. For durability and to bring the beauty of these woods out, I would hand rub an BLO mix in then a wipe on gloss poly.
Dave
what if the maple figuring isn't as prevalent as i would like it? could i add a gunstock oil to the body before adding the poly just to give it a little richer color? what is BLO mix?
-dave.

Boiled Linseed Oil and Turpentine - Forget the gunstock oil. You can test the maple fiiguring by wiping on the Turpentine first.
Dave
David Dugas wrote:

Oh, in that case, just twist up a rag between your hands, well-soaked in a nice dark/black stain, and roll it across your figured maple to get "tiger striping".
8-*
er (don't do that.)
--
email not valid

Not for a nice guitar like that you wouldn't. Poly is something of a sacrilege among luthiers. Sorta like latex on cherry. Custom crafted electric guitars are generally stained and shot with nitrocellulose lacquer.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That's the good point. There was a 16 year old in the adult ed. class with his father building a telecaster body from a solid block of cherry. They did their research, and laquer is the proper finish.
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

If you want the figure of the quilted maple to be exaggerated, then first dye with black (or a dark brown) and then lightly sand it. Then dye with a lighter brown, oil, followed by shellac.