Building a guitar.

I know this is an electric guitar inquiry... but I trust you guys opinions more than the metal heads on other forums.

I'm having a rear routed dual humbucker tele built. It will have a walnut body and a quilted maple top. what type and color of stains and/or dye would you use for the walnut and the quilted maple? (individually or together...)

feel free to suggest anything else.

-David.

Reply to
David Dugas

I wouldn't stain or dye walnut or quilted maple. For durability and to bring the beauty of these woods out, I would hand rub an BLO mix in then a wipe on gloss poly.

Dave

Teamcasa

what if the maple figuring isn't as prevalent as i would like it? could i add a gunstock oil to the body before adding the poly just to give it a little richer color? what is BLO mix?

-dave.

Reply to
David Dugas

Boiled Linseed Oil and Turpentine - Forget the gunstock oil. You can test the maple fiiguring by wiping on the Turpentine first.

Dave

Teamcasa

If you want the figure of the quilted maple to be exaggerated, then first dye with black (or a dark brown) and then lightly sand it. Then dye with a lighter brown, oil, followed by shellac.

Ken Muldrew

Not for a nice guitar like that you wouldn't. Poly is something of a sacrilege among luthiers. Sorta like latex on cherry. Custom crafted electric guitars are generally stained and shot with nitrocellulose lacquer.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Oh, in that case, just twist up a rag between your hands, well-soaked in a nice dark/black stain, and roll it across your figured maple to get "tiger striping".

8-*

er (don't do that.)

Reply to
Enoch Root

That's the good point. There was a 16 year old in the adult ed. class with his father building a telecaster body from a solid block of cherry. They did their research, and laquer is the proper finish.

Reply to
AAvK