Building a Functional Weathervane Cupola

I need to re-build a cupola for a weathervane and want to make it functional so that the weathervane actually indicates wind direction. The problem is, I'm not sure of the mechanism needed to do this. I'm thinking of getting two bearings that I can add to the weathervane support rod, one at the bottom and one where the rod comes out of the cupola so that the weathervance can spin in the bearings. The bearings would sit in a pocket drilled in a wood support. Does it sould like this could work or is there a standard way of doing this?
George

Dat wood work.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
georgepag wrote:
> I need to re-build a cupola for a weathervane and want to make it > functional so that the weathervane actually indicates wind direction. > The problem is, I'm not sure of the mechanism needed to do this. I'm > thinking of getting two bearings that I can add to the weathervane > support rod, one at the bottom and one where the rod comes out of the > cupola so that the weathervance can spin in the bearings. The > bearings would sit in a pocket drilled in a wood support. > Does it sould like this could work or is there a standard way of > doing this?
This is very similar application to a sailboat rudder.
I'd make the bearings, a couple of sleeve and a thrust from UHMWPE and use a bronze or stainless steel shaft.
No maintenance req'd.
Lew

UHMWPE, make a small depression where the shaft (pencil) rests. Make a bushing from some more UHMWPE. Make the shaft from stainless steel. Make a small 3" umbrella that is welded over the shaft 1/4" above the point where the shaft enters the cupola.
Dave

Single bearing, mounted high up above the centre of gravity and with the vane balanced around it. Traditional bearing is the dimpled bottom of a champagne bottle, running on a bronze spike.
You don't need something ultra-low-friction, or that claims to last forever. You need something that's crude enough it just keeps on working, even when it is worn out.