Building a Bartley kit

I inherited Bartley wall cabinet kit 0070 without instructions.

Appears to be complete except for the glass, which is easily sourced.

Not having assemble such a kit, or other piece of furniture - is the finishing done before or after assembly?

Understand penetration of the finish will be impeded where the glue squeezes out and penetrates the wood surface.

If anyone has the instructions for Bartley kit 0070 please advise as I would like to get a copy.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Doug

Reply to
Doug Hortvet

DAGS "Bartley" ... it's that simple.

Reply to
Swingman

------------------------------------------------ You must have a different Google search.

I got 4,100 useless hits.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yea Google is not what it used to be when they first came out. Back then you actually got information. These days you get mostly ads and useless junk... And yes info... but when they started you really got right to the heart of your search fast. That's what was missing in the other search engines.

Now they are no better than anyone else.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are looking for,,, like "Bartley furniture"

Your very first hit is the correct one.

then click the Contact Us tab at the top on the right side of the page.

Then email them if you want to ask by email, phone them if you want to phone them.

Reply to
Leon

Come on seriously is Google suppose to be a mind reader? LOL

Put crap into your search, get crap out of your search.

Bartely furiniture works extremely well.

Reply to
Leon

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I got 4,100 useless hits.

----------------------------------------------- "Le> Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are

"Bartley" was.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

But it's so much easier when someone else does it for you... ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Actually, "Bartley" was the very first thing up when I posted it from my laptop this morning, and again just now on my iPad. You just have to know how to bend technology to your will. :)

Look at the search string:

Swingman

Even better than that, if you click on the Customer Service tab, the very first thing is Assembly Instructions.

Reply to
Swingman

Anyone check Bartley's prices for their _finished_ pieces while there?

Bit surprised to see they're ballpark (slightly less) to what I've been pricing for more straight forward pieces. IOW, good to see they're not giving it away.

... hmmm, must be time to adjust upward again. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks for the information.

I had visited the Barley site - very briefly their guide is to assemble then finish.

Posted to the group to learn what procedures work best for those that are more experienced in building furniture.

Any comments regarding assembling / finishing are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Doug

"John Grossbohl>

Reply to
Doug Hortvet

experienced

Since you seem to be a neophyte my first suggestion would be do as others have said and contact Bartley and see if they can send you a copy of the detailed (not the quick and dirty you're looking at on their website) assembly manual.

As to glue up. Use the minimum amount and apply carefully. Pretend that you're paying $35/oz for it and you'll do fine.

Glueing/finishing is a double-edge sword. Finish where you need glue is a problem as anything between the wood and the glue weakens the joint. Similarly, glue between the wood and the finish screws up the finish.

If you get a bit of glue squeeze out there are two schools of thought:

1) wipe off the excess with a damp cloth immediately, or 2) let it dry without disturbing it and then take a very sharp chisel or marking knife and take it off.

In both cases, I would then sand lightly to remove any trace of the glue.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, a friend of mine, a lawyer is a wood butcher as well. Does nice work from what I've seen. His job while attending law school part-time was a pattern maker for Bartley. He would disassemble classic pieces and create the patterns for the Bartley replicas.

Last question, Doug. What the hell is their 0070 kit?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Thanks for the good advice.

While I have finished single pieces with good results, have never had to assemble using glue and finish.

The 0070 kit is a wall cabinet - 24" x 18' x 6"; three shelves and a glass door. The kit I have is mahogany.

While I am no pro at this - do want the end result to be presentable i.e., no blotchy finish due to glue contamination.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,

Doug

Unquesti>>> Thanks for the information.

more experienced

Reply to
Doug Hortvet

Actually Bartely by itself yielded the same result.

Reply to
Leon

Lew Hodgett wrote:

----------------------------------------------- Le> Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are

-------------------------------------------------- Le> Actually Bartely by itself yielded the same result.

------------------------------------------------- You also must have a different Google search.

See above.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just so you are aware, The results of Google searches are no longer generic and are "personalized" based on your browsing history, location, social media participation, clicks, and any other data that can be gleaned from your ip address, and GPS/ cell tower triangulation if you're using a voice/data device.

If you're using Google's Chrome browser you supposedly can turn this "personalized" search results off ... or they lead you to believe that you can.

You have to assume that even if you use vpn, the location of the vpn server will likely result in some personalization of Google searches.

Reply to
Swingman

Ok, you have to make sure that the search is only on "Bartely" and not any of the possible suggested Bartely phrases that drop down from the suggested search box.

Reply to
Leon

----------------------------------------------------------- Orwell's 1984 almost 40 years later.

Since I refuse to have an electronic nursemaid (cell phone), I must be a major disappointment to them.

Thk's

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hello Doug. My "excuse" for needing the assembly instructions for the BARTLEY BEDSIDE BACHELOR'S CHEST is not so deserving as yours: I misplaced mine (plus the hardware). Could you please advise where you obtained the instructions? Best wishes.

Jim Martin snipped-for-privacy@permesso.net

814-525-1068
Reply to
Jim Martin