BUFF - coming together

I've thrown together a page with pics of BUFF being assembled. Note the savage shop-dog guarding BUFF.

I notice in one of the pics that the table looks small with the blade raised, the blade is a 12" Freud. The table is actually quite large, maybe it's because the extensions had not been fitted. I still haven't cut timber and have had a few teething problems; the Suva guard (overhead guard) had a weld preventing the cover lock knob from fully engaging so I had to re-tap the hole. I was also supplied with the fence rail for a machine without a sliding table, so it has to be replaced (2 days ).

the manuals are typical Taiwanese output, they give no indication of tuning the sliding table to fit, although they do mention part way through the assembly list "at this point a lot of adjustments should be made" (with no indication of what they may be).

Still, I figure it's a good way to get to know what makes BUFF tick.

Short stats:

12" blade 240v 3hp 15amp draw on start table is 48" x 30" can crosscut a 4' x 8' panel arbor speed 4000rpm 50" rip to right of blade riving knife travels with blade magnetic switch
Reply to
Greg Millen

I dunno Greg. To me by the look on Shop-Dawg's face I'm thinking he/she wants to be the first to fire it up/make it go whirr.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Nah, she's a bench dog

;-)

Reply to
Greg Millen

If that dog ever needs a home...

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Looks like the new toy is comming together

In the pictures I notice the grease (or what ever) on - what did you use to get it off?

I am near the end of putting a new 14" King 1433 bandsaw with riser block kit together and the table was coated with a similar looking protective coating. I used easy green to clean it off but it took a real long time - the longest part of the assembly.

Reply to
Matt

WTH you gotsk a plywood blade on that beast for, son?

Where's your rag, magnet, and catch paper on that process, sir?

Making the slider flat and parallel with the saur table but an RCH higher. (Unfortunately, the Taiwanese don't know what an RCH is.)

That's always good.

Good stuff. Humongous table, plenty of power, wide rip/crosscut, and a sliding table to boot. Very cool.

Yeah, you suck.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Kerosene is the best de-cosmoliner by far. Nothing else comes close. You can get it in pint cans at the borg. Last you long time.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Ditto.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Matt, I used Mineral Turpentine. I have some Kerosene but didn't use it, hang on, I'll go test it...

Ok, test results are in. I prefer Mineral Turpentine, it works faster with the stuff on my machine.

Disclaimer: Please assign this all the credit you normally would when a scientific test is conducted upside down with a few swipes of a smelly rag (with a dog nosing unprotected parts whilst you lean into the cabinet).

Reply to
Greg Millen

Uhh, cuz I'll be cuttin' plywood first?

cutting oil and filing fell onto the rag that was in place. There was only a little bit to cut. I have since cleaned and waxed the cr*p outta the top.

I used a 6' straight edge to tune the slider to within .05 "RCH", parallel across the entire TS top. Just enough space for a dieting pice of light to squeeze through.

I am trez chirpy.

Not really, I paid for what I got. I wish I could claim a gloat but I can't.

====== For any smokers reading this: I gave up smoking 2 years, 11 months 3 weeks and 14 hours ago. Since then I have recovered 13 weeks of my life and NOT smoked 27165 cigarettes which has saved me AUS$8,829.09.

Somehow the woman-to-be-feared claims %50 of this in shoes (don't ask - I believe it has something to do with wife tax), the rest of it goes in tools ie BUFF.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

That could lead to a shop accident.

UA100, who has hurt hisself with a machine without a cutter installed and with the plug undone from the recepticle that make the machine go whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

23 Mar 1976 for me. I can no longer calculate how many years it's been; I guess I'm coming up on 29. I never tried to calculate how much money I saved. When I quit, Marlboros were about $3.50 a carton.

Congratulations to you.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

1 AM, Nov 17, 1991 - 13 years, 4 days, 8 hours and 30 minutes ... after 30 years of puffing.
Reply to
Swingman

Dude, keep your pants on while your stripping the table! Prevents all sorts of nasty injuries! At least you didn't post a picture!

Or did I misunderstand?

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Great looking saw...Great looking dog.

I agree...you suck.

Have fun and be safe.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Robinson

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:26:35 +1100, "Greg Millen" calmly ranted:

Thortchazadwanna cut some real wood first. YMOV.

Bueno, bwana.

I wasn't referring to any sort of gloat. ;)