buckeye tree

Has anyone ever used any wood from the buckeye tree. I might be able to get ahold of some in the near future. I really don't know much about them other than the nuts are poison. Any help would be appreciated. Jim

to form interesting burls. My mantle is made of buckeye because it was the cheapest wood I could find in a large thick slab when the need came up. Since it was to be painted the boring nature of the wood wasn't of concern.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Jim Heater wrote:

Trivia:
And if you put the nuts in a fire they tend to explode.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

Neat!!

I just read something about the Ohio Buckeye (the one with the poison nuts) on one of those e-zines that I get by email. Seems it was once known as dead man's wood as it was often used for caskets. The story is at the following URL. watch the wordwrap.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/default.sph/wcontent_user.class?FNC=story1__Ac ategory2_html___7___43___28___481___1
Dave Hall
snip Jim Heater wrote:

The burls anice for turning, the crotchwood should be also. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: