Buck Shot

How often do you come across buck shot pellets in your lumber? This is the third time I have cut through a pellet in some walnut I purchased a while back.
Darn hunters!
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Hello Brian, It never happened to me as a woodworker but I'm sure I wounded a few trees in my time as a hunter. Here's a question; Was this lead shot, i.e. buck shot or steel? I thought lead would "work" as easily as wood. I met a turner who had made a bowl that bore several lead 38 bullets- at least that what I thought they were based on their size. He was able to turn and polish the bullets so they blended in very nicely with the walnut. I do not know the penetration of lead into wood but I would think it is not too deep, and unless the tree was really old I wonder what type of "wound chanel" you'd be presented with. Anyway, deer really tastes better than tree but sometimes the tree moves in front of the deer faster than the eye can see. Marc

Lead. It is really soft. It's not a huge problem, so far it hasn't been in any critical places in the pieces I have found it. I have only found it in walnut so far.

Odd. Walnut is the only wood I've found shot/bullets in. On the surface, that's quite a coincidence until you learn that I work in walnut more than any other wood...
Cheers, Jeff
marc rosen wrote:

I've only found one I recall in lumber I was woodworking which didn't bother me much.
I get really ticked at all the buckshot in the barn and the house I find, though... :(

Only once, is some cherry. Lead cut easily though so not damage to the blades.

Was cross cutting a 2x8 with a radial arm when one of the blocks popped open to reveal a 50 cal machine gun slug. Was awful glad I didn't hit it. The lumber must have come off a military practice/firing range.

buckshot, no big deal..
large caliber, steel jacketed slugs.. major deal!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I turned a bowl with a few duck shot pellets in it.. I thought it just added a bit of character..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

In nearly 30 years of teaching a high school woodshop, I would say it was almost a yearly occurance.
I would use Pennsylvania grown hardwoods almost exclusively in the program and could come across bullets and shot in almost any species. They never caused any damage to the blades, although I'm sure a jacketed bullet might.
I used to collect the boards as teaching aids, but after a while I had so many in the box, I started giving them away to my woodworking friends.
Joe

Having hit a deer last week, I don't "darn" hunters unless they don't take a big enough crop. This year, they didn't. I guess State Farm will be thrilled.

State Farm huh? Hopefully you killed the deer as I would not be surprised if they went after his insurance company. ;~)

Didn't kill it though... but wished he had...
He wasn't going to tell his insurance company that it happened, but the pig squealed..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Booooooo! LOL...
If it was lead shot deep in the wood it would have had to been there for awhile, the lead shouldn't penetrate to far because of how soft it is. I'd bet that 50 cal round had been in that tree for awhile, the do a lot of damage to trees, so my guess would be it was a well healed wound/scar.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Never that I know of, but uh I have on several occasions cut through a finish nail and it left a very shiny spot in the wood. No harm to any blades so far and I have been doing this since the early 90's. :~)
With lead in the wood, you may be liable for damages in California. They have very stupid laws that undamaged 3rd party people can sue for damages caused by products that have lead in them.
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:38:40 -0600, "none of the above"

I never thought of that before, but a lot of my turnings would/wood probably qualify for that dumb ass proposition 65 warning..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

We once used locally sawn sycamore for roof underlayment on a sugar house. The boards were full of .22 slugs. It turns out the tree which was in a pasture, had a "NO HUNTING" sign on it, which in my home town was always a popular target.
--
FF