BS tension release knob

Anyone have an easier way to release the tension in a 14" Delta band saw without installing the (expensive) quick release lever? I was thinking about some kind of wheel w/handle to replace the plastic knob. Has anyone done this modification? If so, what diameter size crank wheel and how was it attached? I'd appreciate description, pics, or urls. TIA

I made one that did not destroy the original knob. See @ http://home.mchsi.com/~larrylhote/bandsawmods/bandsawmods.htm
However, I got tired of the ugliness of the kludge and bought a wheel kit for about $20 and installed it. Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

14mm hex head underneath with a air powered ratchet wrench. Adjusts quickly and with no strain... My BS is a Grizzly so YMMV. TWS

Quick Crank. It was about $25 from the manufacturer. Highland Hardware has them also, but the s & h was too high for just one item.
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID 99
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11448
I just tension the blade and keep the handle facing the front. At the end of the day, I just take it back 5 turns to de-tension. Re-tension just crank it the same five turns. Quick and easy.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

Phisherman wrote:

I got a piece of all-thread rod the same thread and put a crank on the top. The crank is a 4" piece of aluminum with a hole at each end, one end is on the rod with two nuts and the other has a knob attached. Four turns will do the trick to loosen or tighten.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Phisherman wrote:

I took a 1/8" X 3/4" X 4" piece of aluminum. Attached it to the knob of the adjuster. My knob was metal so I was able to drill and tap one hole. The knob is not round, it has three spokes. I put a screw into one of the spokes and one screw drilled and tapped into the aluminum bar and going between the other two spokes. I did this because there was not enough room to put two screws into the knob. I then made a knob to attatch to the aluminum bar so I can crank it. BTW my bandsaw is a Delta 14"
Ted
I posted this yesterday....
http://www.highland-hardware.com/browseproducts/Iturra-Spinner-3-Bandsaw-Tensioning-Crank.HTML
It is not cheap nor is it a light weight piece of junk.
Consider buying the spring also:
http://www.highland-hardware.com/browseproducts/Iturra-2-12--Bandsaw-Spring-for-Delta.html
When you compare this spring to the Delta, you get a nice laugh...
Phisherman wrote:

Now that's a crank to die for! Never considered replacing the spring, as I was not aware of an upgrade replacement. Thanks!
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:06:59 GMT, Pat Barber

I have a Delta 14" couple years old.
I made a wooden handle to go over the original:
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/103278/0.jpg
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/103278/1.jpg

I'd love to see these, but...
FreePicHosting.com Error Message: Sorry, that image could not be found, path -- Regards, Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
Sorry about that,
Freepichosting decided to become NOT free pic hosting
try these links:
http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedphoto/p !2141108415264744/lB096392/cobrandOid00131/otsc=SYE/otsi=SPIC http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedphoto/p 6141108415355970/lB096393/cobrandOid00131/otsc=SYE/otsi=SPIC
JC

Thanks. Very similar to what I just made, except I enclosed the original three-prong metal knob into ash wood and secured with a metal plate without altering/marring the original equipment. My handle is a turned wood piece with a drilled 1/4" hole down the center where a threaded bolt secures it. I stained mine today, and tomorrow I'll apply a finish. I don't have a camera but I could scan and post if anyone is interested. I made it from scrap pallet ash wood, which I see in your picture there is plenty scraps!

That was the old Gar...Shop.
All the scraps had to go before we moved - wife couldn't understand why we would pay to move small bits of wood.
John................building up his supply of scraps again.