Brushes for a Delta 36-220 CMS...

...this is an old saw. Sears and other sites say brushes are unavailable...has anyone found another source? (Bob Villa doesn't know everything!) Thanks.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Spalted Walt

They say they're for that saw, but 1/4" is quite different from 7mm.

Reply to
Bob Villa

"Replacement, not OEM, for NLA Delta motor brushes part number 1344019" (OEM part no. for 36-220)

Reply to
Bob Villa

HTH

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Yep .65 of a millimeter to big.

Reply to
Markem

"Many sold with positive feedback."

Spalted Walt

Thanks Walt, but if I want one that doesn't fit...I can get it locally! The proper size will allow safe operation of the saw. Otherwise it won't stop the blade on trigger release.

Reply to
Bob Villa

I guess you're...

Spalted Walt

Bob Villa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Have you tried a local motor rebuild shop or a brush supplier?

It won't be cheap, unless you get lucky and find one of a standard size.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If you read the spec's at the bottom there was a note that some filing might be necessary. They gave a few reasons for it. All very true.

It also has nothing with the trigger release. If the brushes don't float it will either work for a short time (until they wear down) or if no contact is made by the brushes it simply will not work, trigger or no trigger.

The other problem you will probably have is that if it is that old and well used the armature will be now grooved and no new ones will fit to groove that the other brushes made. So it will need to be trimmed with a lathe and then the mica between the copper will have to be cut out as well.

Bottom line, if you are clueless about this, then take it to a local motor shop for repair so that you can get full Hp usage out of it, but then if you bought a reasonable quality motor replacement it will not cost you much more and you'll save on operating costs, plus you'll have new sealed bearings instead of what you have now.

Reply to
OFWW

The bottom line here, so far, is there are none available. Mine, at this po int, has decent brushes but doesn't stop as it should. Folks have suggested new brushes and blowing out the sawdust. It would be nice if it was safer to use...as new stuff tends to be made cheaper and doesn't last.

Reply to
Bob Villa

One might think that if the saw starts and runs well that the brushes would not be the culprit for the auto brake.

FWIW I have a Delta CPMS that is getting very long in the tooth. The auto brake never worked consistently but if I squeezed the trigger/switch a time or two as it was coasting down the brake would kick in.

It may very well be the switch that needs to be cleaned out.

Reply to
Leon

Bob, these brushes fit my 36-220 perfectly, without any need of filing:

Norm Abram

On 05/13/2016 12:55 PM, Leon wrote: ...

+233
Reply to
dpb

s point, has decent brushes but doesn't stop as it should. Folks have sugge sted new brushes and blowing out the sawdust. It would be nice if it was sa fer to use...as new stuff tends to be made cheaper and doesn't last.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob Villa

point, has decent brushes but doesn't stop as it should. Folks have sugges ted new brushes and blowing out the sawdust. It would be nice if it was saf er to use...as new stuff tends to be made cheaper and doesn't last.

Hi Norm, haven't seen you since I left the show ! Thanks, all I can s ay is...the ones in mine are 17mm X 7mm X 15?mm.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Brushes have absolutely nothing to do with slowing down. New systems sometimes will have brakes built in, if you buy a better brand.

New stuff is cheaper if you buy cheap or inexpensive equipment, you get what you pay for most of the time. Your old high speed blades, for instance, suck when compared to the newer carbide saw blades.

So nothing is wrong with your saw, if you want it to slow down faster then when you turn the power off, start cutting a piece of scrap wood, it will stop real fast.

Reply to
OFWW

point, has decent brushes but doesn't stop as it should. Folks have sugges ted new brushes and blowing out the sawdust. It would be nice if it was saf er to use...as new stuff tends to be made cheaper and doesn't last.

Here is a quote from page 8 of the DeWalt DW708 Sliding Compound Miter Saw instruction manual: "If (the brake will not function properly), turn the sa w on and off four or five times. If the brake still does not stop the blade in about 3 seconds, the problem may be worn brushes. Replace the brushes.. .and try the saw again." (I don't have manual for mine, but I will try to find one)

Reply to
Bob Villa

They usually stock various sizes, then file to fit if necessary. Usually a one hour minimum and they will clean it at the same time. Most will also megger (meg-ohm) the motor to check for life expectancy.

Reply to
OFWW