Brushes for a Delta 36-220 CMS...

Page 1 of 3
...this is an old saw. Sears and other sites say brushes are unavailable...has anyone found another source? (Bob Villa doesn't know everything!) Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191871428040
On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 7:46:06 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

They say they're for that saw, but 1/4" is quite different from 7mm.

7mm = .275" = file
HTH
On Fri, 13 May 2016 06:39:50 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

Yep .65 of a millimeter to big.
On Fri, 13 May 2016 06:39:50 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

And did the e-bay seller neasure with a micrometer, a caliper, a ruler, or a tape measure? They are listed as replacement brushes for Delta products including the model in question.
On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 7:46:06 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

"Replacement, not OEM, for NLA Delta motor brushes part number 1344019" (OEM part no. for 36-220)

"Many sold with positive feedback."
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=tomgua&iid 1871428040&ssPageName=VIP:feedback&ftabedbackAsSeller&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2560
On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 9:21:23 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

Thanks Walt, but if I want one that doesn't fit...I can get it locally! The proper size will allow safe operation of the saw. Otherwise it won't stop the blade on trigger release.

I guess you're...
http://boards.420chan.org/tech/src/1447870006810.jpg

Have you tried a local motor rebuild shop or a brush supplier?
It won't be cheap, unless you get lucky and find one of a standard size.
Puckdropper
On 13 May 2016 16:27:27 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

They usually stock various sizes, then file to fit if necessary. Usually a one hour minimum and they will clean it at the same time. Most will also megger (meg-ohm) the motor to check for life expectancy.
On Fri, 13 May 2016 07:30:58 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

If you read the spec's at the bottom there was a note that some filing might be necessary. They gave a few reasons for it. All very true.
It also has nothing with the trigger release. If the brushes don't float it will either work for a short time (until they wear down) or if no contact is made by the brushes it simply will not work, trigger or no trigger.
The other problem you will probably have is that if it is that old and well used the armature will be now grooved and no new ones will fit to groove that the other brushes made. So it will need to be trimmed with a lathe and then the mica between the copper will have to be cut out as well.
Bottom line, if you are clueless about this, then take it to a local motor shop for repair so that you can get full Hp usage out of it, but then if you bought a reasonable quality motor replacement it will not cost you much more and you'll save on operating costs, plus you'll have new sealed bearings instead of what you have now.
On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 11:31:10 AM UTC-5, OFWW wrote:

The bottom line here, so far, is there are none available. Mine, at this po int, has decent brushes but doesn't stop as it should. Folks have suggested new brushes and blowing out the sawdust. It would be nice if it was safer to use...as new stuff tends to be made cheaper and doesn't last.
On 5/13/2016 11:57 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

One might think that if the saw starts and runs well that the brushes would not be the culprit for the auto brake.
FWIW I have a Delta CPMS that is getting very long in the tooth. The auto brake never worked consistently but if I squeezed the trigger/switch a time or two as it was coasting down the brake would kick in.
It may very well be the switch that needs to be cleaned out.
On 05/13/2016 12:55 PM, Leon wrote: ...

+233

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 12:56:07 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

sted new brushes and blowing out the sawdust. It would be nice if it was sa fer to use...as new stuff tends to be made cheaper and doesn't last.

Thanks!
On 5/13/16 11:55 AM, Leon wrote:

Bingo!
My Delta CMS had the same problem. The motor brake quit.
When the trigger is released, the brushes are effectively shorted by the switch to act as a brake. Cleaning the switch fixed it (for a while, grrrr...)
-BR
On Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 9:14:50 AM UTC-5, Brewster wrote:

Thanks, as far as I know, the switch is also obsolete!
On Sat, 14 May 2016 08:10:13 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

Another option is to do like I did with my Milwaukee Sawz-All when the pitman assembly broke. The service depot said parts no longer available. I said what model superceded this model? What's different on it? All the cases were the same - the motor was the same, but the entire piman assembly was different. Same case. Whats stopping me from putting in a whole new pitman assembly? I needed about 3/4 of it anyways - so the additional few parts to update to the new system ammounted to a few bucks.
The switch from a newer model may fit perfectly - or may require modifying a connector, or simply using a longer screw (I've had that happen too)