Brown Paper Bag Final Sanding?

Page 2 of 3
On 11/4/10 7:13 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I learned that there was usually some free and available newspaper any and everywhere, within reach of windows. Chamois, not so much. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Not a lot of chamois laying around the barracks.

So hit the BX/PX, boy. Doubletime!
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
Likewise, a nice clean, new crisp dollar bill makes a fair electrical contact cleaner in a pinch. I would imagine larger denominations work equally well but I've never had one long enough to try.

I have found a better way to clean windows, have tried the news paper with ok results. Use a window cleaner and wipe off with a microfiber towel. The micro fiber towel will not swish the dirt around but will capture and retain the dirt. Additionally car wax will help prevent the window from getting dirty again as quickly and will remove those tough spots.

Is this a variant of the turner's trick of grabbing a handful of swarf to burnish the finished workpiece? I thought that was mainly heat and the resins and sap doing a quick polish. I'm partial to the waxy-string method, myself.

Should work even better if you rubbed a bit of jeweler's rouge into the paper.

I used it again today, to knock the dust off of the spray satin topcoat I put over the dye. Was faster than a synthetic buffing pad I normally use.
--

-MIKE-

One of my guys used to, and I emphasize 'used to' clean his glasses with paper shop towels. Scratched the shite out of the coating on his polycarbonate lenses. Paper is fibre. Fibres have 'ends' on them...those are scratchy. Do not use TP to blow your nose for any extended period of time during a cold, you'll end up looking like WC Fields.

Your Dutch heritage shows. I remember Dutch TP as about 80 grit. Ouch ...
--
Best regards
Han

LOL!!...that brown stuff was brutal! (But did the job.)
"Han" wrote:

---------------------------------------- Next thing will be the red corn cob, white corn cob, red corn cob story.
Lew

I don't know that story, but my imagination is begging you not to tell it.
"Robatoy" wrote:

it. -------------------------------- A story that can only truly be appreciated by an out house connoisseur.
Lew
On 11/05/10 11:53 AM, Robatoy wrote:

It is an old bathroom joke consisting of two red corn cobs and one white - in a box with a cellophane cover and a notice that said "In case of emergency, break glass." It went on to give instructions something like "Use red cob first. Then use white cob to see if second red cob needed."
--
Froz...

Han wrote:

Sicilian TP used to be described as "Non-skid" by us visitors.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The UK variety used to be incredibly slick. Not really what one looks for in a TP ...

Pulp paper is made from wood, rag paper is made from cloth. Pulp paper is going to scratch a LOT more than 100% rag, as my test on shellac with a sheet of printer paper bore out last night. Use it for smoothing anything short of the final glaze coat on French polish.

Yup.
I've been using the brown paper bag idea for quite a while.
Only slightly off topic: newspaper is probably the best thing to use to clean glass (eg, your windshield). Seems the ink acts like a fine pumice.
On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Ain't it amazing, the depths of scatological depravity to which a simple, innocently initiated thread can sink on the wREC?
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010