Bronze Bushings needed for Cradle.

Greetings All, I am working on a cradle for my soon to be first born and the specs call for two bronze bushings (along with other various hardware):

2 bronze bushings 5/16" o.d. x 3/4"

I can't seem to find these anywhere and was hoping someone might point to an online etailer that would have these very items? I tried Rockler but it seems they don't offer these items? Any help would greatly appreciated.

TFD

Reply to
LineVoltageHalogen

I've seen that Lowes has bushings in their small parts bins. Can't swear is they had bronze or not, but there was a nice size selection. I'm sure Home Depot or even a nicely supplied local hardware store could have them also. Jack

Reply to
Jack Hoying

Take your choice:

Grainger or McMaster-Carr.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

ace is the place with the helpful hardware bins

Reply to
dave

Am I the only one who finds Home Depot's selection of hardware to be terrible? That is, I can find 2" #10 wood screws in bags of 2, 4, 6, 10,

20, 50, 100 and 5 pound boxes, but if you want something even slightly esoteric, they don't have it.
Reply to
Tim and Steph

Try an Auto parts store like NAPA or locally owned. Not the Pep Boys type store.

"LineVoltageHalogen" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Frank K.

Any good hardware store and probably Home Depot or Lowes. There will be a (big, like 5' high & 8' long) row of plastic drawers filled with washers, nuts, bolts and assorted "hardware" that you never thought you needed to look in before. They are usually color coded to differentiate between standard to metric or stainless vs galvanized, etc. Robert Smith

L> Greetings All, I am working on a cradle for my soon to be first born

Reply to
Knotbob

Or if you need 4 of something they only have 2 or 3 but will order them for you. I always try to use my local stores but sometimes can't resist the low price on a specific item.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Miller

Motion Industries, Birmingham, AL.

Reply to
bob

You might try an auto electric rebuild shop. They usually have an incredibly huge selection of bushings.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Googled for "Bronze bushing", got 356K results. Try here:

some of the other results. Should be able to find them.

Or try the yellow pages for bearing distributors.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Swinging cradle? I've used nylon, covering the offending white with the appropriate color washer, and also the bronze-colored hardware Rockler sells for gliders. Works nice.

Nylon or UHMW stuff probably more slippery than bronze in this low-load application.

Reply to
George

Yes, swinging cradle. I will go back to Lowe's and Home Depot and take a second look to see if they have what I need.

Thanks to all.

LineVoltageHalogen

But then how do you inculcate a subtle love and attraction for the machine room in the baby, when it doesn't have the subtle and beautiful smell of oiled brass tempting its infant nose?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Perhaps a nice monkey? Have some from last winter that have already been neutered....

Reply to
George

If you want the strength and longevity of bronze bushings, but without the almost inevitable squeak, look for oilite bushings - they are bronze with built-in lubricant. And you can even find them at many auto parts stores. They might have the size you need in stock.

Reply to
Sailaway

When I needed bronze bushings several years ago, I found them (believe it or not) at Sears Hardware (and nowhere else).

~Mark.

Reply to
Woody

I am about to look for plans to build a cradle. Not sure yet floor unit vs table top unit. I would love to see your plans if they can be faxed or e-mailed.Any picture of unit would also be appreciated.

Reply to
henry

I got the plans from the book "Children's Furniture Projects" by Taunton Press. Here is the link to the book:

cradle is on the cover so you can have a look.

LineVoltageHalogen

> The cradle is on the cover so you can have a look.

Is one I've built twice in the last few years. I like the KD design, because it allows folks to store it out of the way until the next, or even a grandchild.

Built a lot of cradles when I was in service where folks were of prime breeding age. The swinging cradle was based on the full-scale plan Rockler sells. Hooded rocker was from an early American furniture book.

If you're interested in seeing a modern concept model - scaled for twins - I still have that here. Came out nice, though my pictures are gone with the drive, and the item's in Europe. Regrettably the AutoCAD files were on the same drive.

Reply to
George