Bronze Bushings needed for Cradle.

Page 1 of 2

Greetings All, I am working on a cradle for my soon to be first born and the specs call for two bronze bushings (along with other various hardware):
2 bronze bushings 5/16" o.d. x 3/4"
I can't seem to find these anywhere and was hoping someone might point to an online etailer that would have these very items? I tried Rockler but it seems they don't offer these items? Any help would greatly appreciated.
TFD
I've seen that Lowes has bushings in their small parts bins. Can't swear is they had bronze or not, but there was a nice size selection. I'm sure Home Depot or even a nicely supplied local hardware store could have them also. Jack

Am I the only one who finds Home Depot's selection of hardware to be terrible? That is, I can find 2" #10 wood screws in bags of 2, 4, 6, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 5 pound boxes, but if you want something even slightly esoteric, they don't have it.
Tim and Steph wrote:

Or if you need 4 of something they only have 2 or 3 but will order them for you. I always try to use my local stores but sometimes can't resist the low price on a specific item.
Ray
LineVoltageHalogen wrote:
> Greetings All, I am working on a cradle for my soon to be first born > and the specs call for two bronze bushings (along with other various > hardware): > > 2 bronze bushings 5/16" o.d. x 3/4"
Take your choice:
Grainger or McMaster-Carr.
Lew
LineVoltageHalogen wrote:

ace is the place with the helpful hardware bins
Try an Auto parts store like NAPA or locally owned. Not the Pep Boys type store.
message

Any good hardware store and probably Home Depot or Lowes. There will be a (big, like 5' high & 8' long) row of plastic drawers filled with washers, nuts, bolts and assorted "hardware" that you never thought you needed to look in before. They are usually color coded to differentiate between standard to metric or stainless vs galvanized, etc. Robert Smith
LineVoltageHalogen wrote:

Motion Industries, Birmingham, AL.

You might try an auto electric rebuild shop. They usually have an incredibly huge selection of bushings.
Pete

Googled for "Bronze bushing", got 356K results. Try here:
http://www.reliablebronze.com/bushings.html
or some of the other results. Should be able to find them.
Or try the yellow pages for bearing distributors.
--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Swinging cradle? I've used nylon, covering the offending white with the appropriate color washer, and also the bronze-colored hardware Rockler sells for gliders. Works nice.
Nylon or UHMW stuff probably more slippery than bronze in this low-load application.
Yes, swinging cradle. I will go back to Lowe's and Home Depot and take a second look to see if they have what I need.
Thanks to all.
>Yes, swinging cradle. I will go back to Lowe's and Home Depot and take >a second look to see if they have what I need.
If you want the strength and longevity of bronze bushings, but without the almost inevitable squeak, look for oilite bushings - they are bronze with built-in lubricant. And you can even find them at many auto parts stores. They might have the size you need in stock.
George wrote:

But then how do you inculcate a subtle love and attraction for the machine room in the baby, when it doesn't have the subtle and beautiful smell of oiled brass tempting its infant nose?
er
--
email not valid

Perhaps a nice monkey? Have some from last winter that have already been neutered....
I managed to buy a stick of nylon (1 1/8" diameter) but now need to cut slices of it about 1/4" thick. How do you cut the nylon so that you end up with a nice smooth surface? I tried it on my chop saw and as you probably already know the cut was not clean at all.
LineVoltageHalogen wrote:
> I managed to buy a stick of nylon (1 1/8" diameter) but now need to cut > slices of it about 1/4" thick. How do you cut the nylon so that you > end up with a nice smooth surface?
<snip>
A lathe with a cut off tool.
Lew
I figured it was somethig like that. Unfortunetly I don't have a lathe. I do have a friend who works in a machine shop and I am going to ask him if he would consider taking it in and cutting it for me. Thanks for you advise.
TFD
LineVoltageHalogen wrote:

When I needed bronze bushings several years ago, I found them (believe it or not) at Sears Hardware (and nowhere else).
~Mark.