Broken fence on joiner

I have montgomery ward joiner that the previous owner of my house left. I knocked it over and broke the fence. Can cast iron be welded or repaired??

TIA

Reply to
ALYSONSDAD

It can be brazed. It might have to be surfaced afterward. I have brazed several cast iron pieces with good results. I have also stick welded things. You can get cast iron welding rod. max

Reply to
max

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ALYSONSDAD) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m11.aol.com:

Home Depot sells an epoxy that is meant for repairing castings. It might be strong enough. Hopefully you'll end up with a fence that's still flat.

Don

Reply to
Don Wheeler

I would go for a steel splint on the back, screwed into tapped holes. Use some epoxy (JB Weld) as well if you wish, but I wouldn't rely on it alone.

You can weld cast iron, but it's an awkward process. There are also risks with possible warping when you do it. Don;t learn to do it on the "live" project. If you have to, go look at sci.engr.joining.welding first. The best technique is usually stick with a nickel rod. On a joint of this length you'll need gas pre-heating too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It can, but whether it would be worth it to you is difficult to say. You may need to have it resurfaced to preserve accuracy, as it would be very difficult for a welder to get it to the usual tolerance of a jointer fence. You might find that it is cheaper to try and get a replacement from the company....

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave responds:

It might be, but Monkey Ward has been out of business for some years now. I don't have any idea who made their jointers. Someone else might know.

My suggestion is brazing and then have a machine shop resurface the fence. Check prices for both if you don't know how to braze.

Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx

Reply to
Charlie Self

ToolKraft, PowrKraft and at one time it was reported Delta.

Best to watch eBay, buy a whole new (old) jointer and rob it for the fence.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Check

for an e-mail address or phone number to check on parts availability.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon