British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

Page 3 of 3

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 13:53:59 +0000, EC-10 wrote:

What would the result be?
more taxes collected, which is good for the public - better upkeep of streets, public buildings; more money for libraries, schools.
more expensive to improve one's home because of the resulting higher taxes on it; therefore less work for contractors; fewer sales of building materials.
Who knows what the bottom line is, except that it is achieved by moving money from individuals to the public treasury.
Why not do away with the satellite surveillance and the army of tax snoops and impose a tax on all retail purchases, with partial or full quarterly rebates for people whose income was below some amount?

Why not indeed. While we're at it, we could transfer road tax to fuel so that the heavier and less economic your vehicle the more you'll pay, and also tax the living daylights out of second-home owners.

I guess I am just tired on the various governments wanting more and more taxes .It is about time they were limited to what they currently get and no more . I am on a fixed income so every additional tax really hurts me in the pocketbook ,Never yet have they asked me if I can afford additional taxes . What do they do with the additional taxes and federal [Taxpayer] handouts , Blanko the Louisana governor just finished paying for renovation of one of her office floors ,Italian marble countertops and all, a little over 1/2 million, just makes my blood boil....
[snip]

So what? It's less expensive, easier and more thorough than driving around town, Satellite photos are routinely used by every planning/zoning/tax assessor office in the U.S. that I've come into contact with, and either replace or supplement the aerial photography that had been used. I guess this means that Britain is bringing their procedures up to the 20th Century --

Err... it's Google isn't it.
Google Earth, Google Maps - keep it quiet.
While they concentrate on ways of putting up Council Tax they seem to be ignoring the fact that an ever increasing number or people are refusing point blank to pay up. Just how many pensioners do you think they can send to prison.
Remember the fuel protests they'll shit themselves if something similar starts over the Council Tax, if it hasn't already.
It all just goes to show how right Maggie was all along with the Poll Tax. If they could have worked out a better way to collect it (payroll?) then I still think it would be a winner.

About the only thing the LibDems have ever got right, a Local Income Tax. Young earners living at home find themselves minus a few quid from their wage packet every week, which goes towards providing local services and leaving them a few pounds less to spend down the pub, all in all a win-win situation.

That just about sums it up doesn't it . whoever earns the money in my book has the right to spend it wherever he wants to , the pub or elsewhere. All earners should share the burden of community services . If I recall the London bombers had milked the government for well over a half million quid, and many have become citizens illegally, if the government wasn't so corrupted it would have sorted this lot out and would not need more taxes

used
Tax.
win-win
book
quid,
Governments and police tend to target the older law-abiding citizens who have worked hard all their life and pay their dues, simply because they're a soft and easy target.
They certainly don't want to get involved with young shit heads who are liable to turn nasty, give them plenty of aggro and may start torching cars and buildings.

Perhaps people should start building underground, away from prying eyes. But of course, the goverment might then impose a tax on piles of dirt left in the garden. :-)
Andy wrote:

<SNIP>
Methinks Europe (especially the Continent) has much bigger problems to worry about (if this guy has his numbers right):
http://www.newcriterion.com/archives/24/01/its-the-demography /

Get an "Account Suspended" message. What were the highlights?
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Go to Google and type the URL into the search box. One of the options you'll get is Google's archived copy. It's intact for this page.

Thanks for that. /cynical mode on I can see why the account was suspended. /cynical mode off
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Heard a lady adamantly claim she was censored on CSPAN by a convienently placed EAS broadcast. She was railing against Bush at the time and we all know Colin Powell's son was head of the FCC. Coincidence? I think not. She was obviously silenced.