Breadbox

SWMBO would like a breadbox. The box, in and of itself is not problem. No, I don't need no stinkin' plans. :-)

But the question she raised was, "should the box be lined?", and if so with what; acrylic, stainless, copper, aluminum, shelf paper, brown paper bag,...?

I was thinking, just plain shellac or poly, but inquiring minds want to know.

PS. What about KILZ?

Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

I vote shellac.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

I'd go with shellac. Taste free, odor free, food safe and all of that. Plus it looks pretty darned good.

How many people use breadboxes these days? Seems like most of the dough/air mix is in a poly bag and lasts a year with no protection so the box just went out of style. I should probably build one myself as we don't usually buy the packaged stuff.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bill Waller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I dunno. Do you WANT mold & mildew reduction next to your daily bread?

Make the breadbox out of some nice looking, local wood, and shellac/wax finish it, maybe with some nice oil finish underneath. Chances are, in thirty years or so, you may need to refinish it.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

SWMBO sez that if the bread is in wrappers, there's no need. If not, something like a sheet of waxed paper/brown paper laid on the bottom helps keep things clean.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I am very grateful that the general consensuses was for shellac. It is my favorite finish to work with. :-)