bread box

I have just finished a bread box for my son It is made from pine and finished with minwax stain and a water based varathane clear Problem is smell from pine or finish seems to enter breads put in box What should I use for finish ???

I'd use a little time. Give it about a month or so in a well ventilated area (outside?) and let the pine and finish off-gas.
I'm not 100% sure this will work, but if all it costs is time...
Puckdropper

I agree.
Also, time spent in the sun seems to "cure" what needs to be cured for the smell to go away. This is an old Watco Danish Oil finish trick. It seems to work with other finishes as well.

It may not be too late to put a couple of coats of shellac on it. That what I'd use in place of the poly to start with. Time will help also. Leave it open to the air for a few weeks.

Shellac
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 20:32:52 -0300, "Don Richard"

Shellac is good. Thin it down for the interior, similar to a spit coat used inside drawers. Or, you can use (pharmacy-grade) mineral oil.

assuming it's pine and not the verathane.. Plastic coated pine just doesn't smell as good as pine, ya know?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
've used coffee grounds to reduce/mask smells like that. I put them in a refrigerator thatwas going to be closed for a several months, and it was ok when opened. You could make some little sachets of grounds (fresh ones, not used) stapled into a coffee filter and leave them in the closed box.
One of the tragedies of my growing up was discovering that coffee never tasted as good as it smelled.
Old Guy

I've made bread boxes and found that painting the interiors with a low- odor, semi-gloss, water-based paint does the trick and still provides a wipe-off surface for cleaning.
FoggyTown