Bread board edge using pocket holes to attach to 3/4" plywood.

I am building an entertainment center with a top that's 58 inches wide, and

18" deep. I want to put a 3 1/2" popular wood mitered breadboard edging on the left & right sides and front edge of 3/4" birch plywood - (not Baltic birch, but ply from Menard's). I am trying to decide on whether to use biscuits or pocket screws. The screws will not show when the top is flipped over and there will be a 1 1/4" overhang with molding under the edge. I was wondering what you thought of using pocket screws instead of biscuits. I've never used pocket screws with plywood, only with solid face frames. I am concerned with the screws grabbing and holding tightly to glued plywood not giving way when screwed in. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote

Because it's really not "breadboard" ends, biscuits will do the job nicely with the ply/hardwood combination.

Reply to
Swingman

I agree with Swingman. A glued joint with biscuits or a spline across the length would work pretty well.

Gary in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

For pocket screws, edge join into the solid wood, not the plywood. In other words, put the pocket in the plywood, and screw into the edge banding. Butt joining into the plywood face is OK; edge joining puts the screw partially in the weak short grain plys.

Reply to
MikeWhy

You will be safe and have less work to do if you use biscuits. Put the biscuits in the miters also. Regardless, pocket holes screws are strongest when used on all solid wood. Whether screwing through a pocket hole in plywood into solid wood or visa versa I have found that plywood will crush internally as you tighten the screw.

Reply to
Leon