Brazilian Rosewood

Hello

I am starting a new project soon. the plans call for Brazilian Rosewood . the problem is none is available. so I would like some possible recommendation for a similar type of wood . the project involves wooden gears. so stability is important. any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Gord

Reply to
Gordon Menzies

Bolivian rosewood

Reply to
Sam the Cat

Teak? Padouk is also supposed to be very stable (but looks nothing like rosewood). There are a bunch of other rosewoods (genus Dalbergia), such as Honduran rosewood and Bolivian rosewood. Indian Rosewood is alleged to be more stable than Brazilian. If you want something really dense you could try African Blackwood which is heavier than water (it's a Dalbergia too). I think these last two may be available only as turning blanks so your project would have to be small.

Reply to
Adrian Mariano
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

well it is at about 100.00 a bf (G) cocobolo or Indian rosewood would be fine. ipe would work too.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Where do you live? Not too far from here I can buy all the "rosewood" (no specifics given by supplier) I can carry for $10/BF.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Lyptus. Cheaper than walnut or cherry. Very heavy. Machines well. Environmentaly kinder since it's grown on farms.

good finished, too.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

But lyptus isn't anything like rosewood. A design change is in order, somehow.

Reply to
patriarch

If you need a rosewood, try cocobolo or Honduran rosewood. If you want to substitute for a cheaper wood, try jatoba (brazilian cherry) or even use a good dark piece of walnut or cherry.

Gary in KC

> Looks good finished, too.

Reply to
Gary A

I really like dalbergia stevensonii (Honduran Rosewood) and dalbergia retusa (cocobolo). The cocobolo has a greater tendency to split and can be hard to find dry. It also has a much greater variety of color and generally a wilder appearance. They are both fantastic to work; choose based on appearance. All the "Honduran" Rosewood I've bought actually came from Belize.

I don't think Bolivian Rosewood is a dalbergia -- not that that really matters -- but it could be another option for you. I've never used it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I have nothing against rosewood but I have had good luck using purpleheart in situations where durability was required. I made a couple gate latches of purpleheart about 15 years ago and they are still going strong. Both the latch and the strike plate are purpleheart.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Jim do you know about greenheart and how it compares with cocobolo for splitting? (I don't know, I want to know which one splits less)

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

once cocobolo is fully dry it is pretty stable. but the pretty dry part is hard to tell. only 3 or 4% too much moisture can cause it to check.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Greenheart is another name that is used for more than one species. Check to be sure what you're getting. I have even heard ipe called greenheart. Anyway, the main species I think is ocotea rodiaei. I have never worked with it, so I can't compare it to cocobolo, but the specs on the FPL website are impressive. Looks like it would make great outdoor furniture, among other things.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Steve, I'm glad you posted this. I had written "split" when I meant "check."

Properly dried, cocobolo has pretty good split resistance. Please excuse the poor choice of words on my part.

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Thanks Jim, I am curious because it is the other choice, other than cocobolo, for chisel handles from Harris tools, and those are sockets. Costa Rica.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Steve what is the exact meaning of the word 'check' for wood? Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Jim Wilson schreef

Yes, that is pretty normal. In Costa Rica "greenheart" will be what is called "ipê" in Brazil

******
****** Yes, but only one species {not "main"]. These days it is called Chlorocardium rodiei [Chloros = green, cardia = heart; after Rodie, MD] There is a second species in Chlorocardium, but it won't be traded ****** I have never worked
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

AArDvarK schreef

Wood Handbook: "CHECK. A lengthwise separation of the wood ... commonly results from stresses set up in wood during seasoning."

Basically a check is small relative to the piece of wood. PvR

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

Jim Wilson schreef

******** Only place it ever has been found. PvR