Brazilian plywood.

Hi all, Can any one help by explaning what Brazilian plywood is? It is sold in B&Q (UK) and looks respectable, but what is its outer surface made of, and is it hard wearing? The shop assistants did not know, however, they thought it may come from Brazil :) thanks for reading my post, Kim

Reply to
Old Tom

They make all sorts of ply in Brazil (and elsewhere in SA) so asking what Brazilian plywood is made of is like asking what US plywood is made of.

However, one of the most common face woods is called virola. It is similar in appearance to - and is a replacement for - Phillipine mahogany. "Phillipine mahogany" is a catch all name for various Asiatic trees...don't know if "virola" is as well.

The virola ply I've used is decent but tends to produce splinters along edges. WICKED & BIG splinters. I would not call it "hard wearing" but there aren't a lot of woods I'd call that. By "hard wearing" do you mean resistance to abrasion? weather? inherent density?

Like all plywoods, it is made in various grades but I doubt that most stores would carry anything better than BB/CC. If that. All I have seen has had rotary cut face veneer.

Reply to
dadiOH