Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba)

I have been working with Jatoba this week and love the look when pure Tung oil is applied. The wood appears to be cheaper than American Cherry. It is a very hard and heavy wood compared to American Cherry but wonder if anyone has done a project using it. I have been using it with Maple and walnut to make a few cutting boards this week. I'm I missing something? Thanks

Reply to
Keith

Nope...it's hard and heavy and it is very hard on cutting surfaces, which is one reason it is used for flooring more than anything else.

Keith wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I'm using it now for a built-in bookcase and shelves, plus interior posts to demarcate an area of the living room that will have a red/tan grasscloth for wallpaper. I've also used it for the framing around an octagonal interior window (spare bedroom to hallway). I stained it a rosewood color and it matches well in both color and grain with my rosewood furniture and overall Oriental decor. So far I've been very happy with the results -- as you said, it's heavy and strong, but seems to work well and looks good with an oil finish. If I can find some thicker pieces I may try turning some, or perhaps I'll build up a turning block from the pieces I have.

I started with this by buying a lot of unfinished jatoba flooring, for which my original plan was to build an enclosure around the workings of an outdoor hot tub. Then we bought a hot tub that already had an attractive exterior so I was left with bundles of jatoba and have started to use it up in a variety of smaller projects, including a 12' long bench top for my work tables.

I'll bet your jatoba / walnut / maple cutting boards look great with the contrasting colors! Regards --

Reply to
JimR

I've made some projects with it as well. When freshly planed then subjected to sunlight, it'll turn a beautiful rich, deep red. I drove around for two weeks with a sample on my dashboard just to see how red it would turn before I put the finish on the project. After two weeks, the difference was night and day. The dash sample was awesome! And your right on the money with the tung oil finish. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

hello,

Jatoba is a Great looking wood, but it's a pain to work with as it's super hard and brittle...

cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de Brebisson

Thanks for the suggestions. I had to buy a belt sander to sand the end grain cutting boards down so I guess I'm one tool ahead now. I really love the look but I agree this wood is hard. I'm seeing it sell for $2.00 less a board foot but I guess if you figure new tools needed and planner blade dulled it's not much cheaper at all. My wife wants a small table(18') in the foyer so I may look at using this. The rest of the furniture is dark so I was going to use walnut. thanks

"
Reply to
Keith

Try swapping the walnut for purpleheart, made several with that combination that turned or really well.

Ron

Reply to
Ron