Brass + epoxy + wood

I want to inset a strip of 1/8 X 1/2 brass along the edge of a piece of wood. I would prefer to epoxy it on rather than use screws but I don't know how well the two will stick together. Are they likely to be joined forevermore? Fall apart the first time they are moved? Somewhere inbetween? Best to rough up the brass?
Thanks.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 2/20/11 4:32 PM, dadiOH wrote:

CA is used for the brass inserts for pen making and those don't come apart. In either case, taking the sheen off could only help.
--

-MIKE-

CA works well for this. The gel type.
I would do a test piece: Rough up the brass's backside and drill small holes in the wood (for the epoxy to anchor itself in), then, put the test piece through a series of stress tests.
Sonny
"dadiOH" wrote:

--------------------------- Piece of cake, if you do the following:
1) Rough up the brass with some 36 grit or a grind stone. (The rougher the better)
2) Mix up some slow, high quality laminating epoxy thickened with micro-balloons to the consistency of mayo. (Stay away from the 5 minute junk)
Butter everything, assemble and let cure for 48-72 hours to let resin get at least "green" hard before looking at it..
Mask as req'd with blue tape.
Patience is your friend.
Have fun.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" previously wrote:

------------------------------------- Given the state of double backed tapes these days, they would make another good approach IMHO.
Tough call.
Lew

If mounting so the surface is flush...
I would carefully cut it so that it was a couple of thousandths too long, and if possible bevel the ends of the hole slightly inward. Then put some double-sided tape on the back, bend it slightly concave, put it in the hole and clamp it down.
My 2 cents.
Larry
I have used epoxy with no problems. Yes rough it up a little. use acetone or alcohol to remove oils on the brass. You'll be fine. It will last a lifetime.