brands of air compressors?

Page 2 of 2
I use a 1HP for touchup gun and WB lacquer for small pieces.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:27:04 -0600, p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net (p_j) wrote:

I have a 7 hp porter cable and it runs great! It runs on 220 and i have not had a problem spraying laquer, latex, using it running impact tools, air grinders, etc. So far so good. Paid $399 minus 10% at local woodworking store.
Ray

Since nobody else mentioned it, I do not believe that you will be able to spray finishes with any compressor small enough to carry around. I could be wrong, but I always thought that required some volume not available in a few gallon sized tank. I do not spray (yet), but I know that my 30 gallon unit really isn't big enough to run a sander or other continuous use air tool. It doesnt take much to run nailers or pump things or (I would assume) run impact wrenches and other non-continuous use tools. Dave Hall

i have two portables. i need to sell one of them and it does not matter to me witch one i sell. if you are near raliegh N.C. one is an emglo [NOT BY DEWALT] and the other is a stanley bostich. the emglo is oiled and the other is oiless. both have speedy recovery and 4 1/2 gallon capacity. the emglo is about 8 years old. the bostich is 1 month old and hardly used. i will take 100.00 for the emglo or 200.00 for the bostich. in my opinoin the emglo is the better one because it is oiled. however the bostich is a very nice compressor. if you are close drop a note here i read this group several times a day. skeez

The oiless are less expensive but won't last as long as the ones that need oil added. I've got the CH extreme duty and very satisfied, but other brands are good too. Take proper care of whatever you decide and it should last a long time.
I looked at several 2 Gal. mini-pancakes, and the did seem awfully similar.
I finally chose a Husky hot-dog model. It is 2 gal. (sufficient for my nail gun), came with a pressure gauge (all do), and a regulator (not all do), more power (135 lbs. instead of 105 lbs.), and some attachments.
Ultimately, I picked it because it was so much quieter. The regulator would have cost $15, and the longer hose would have cost me $10. Add the $25 to the cost of the cheapies, and I got a nearly identical deal.
Doug

I would suggest the Porter Cable pancake style. If you can get it in a combo with the 18 gauge brad nailer even better. I have this compresser at home and use it all the time for nailing everything from baseboards to building small projects. I have also used it a fair amount for spraying finishes and paints.