brainstorm... work box for SWMBO...

I'm trying to come up with a good something to make for SWMBO for Christmas. She has a nice jewlry armoire thingie already, and really doesn't need another box that would only encourage her to buy more overpriced metal that can't be fashioned into anything useful.

She crochets a lot, and she keeps a basket full of balls of yarn, plus the project du jour, by the end table. I'm thinking she'd like a work box of some sort. Maybe cut some recesses into three sides of it so that she can leave her yarn in the box and pull it out with the lid down... Maybe even come up with some kind of fancy pull-out tray to hold all of her needles.

If anyone has any nifty ideas for such a thing, please share. My idea is still at the noodle stage, so anything is possible. I don't want to get

*too* fancy, since I still have to finish that chess box and a couple of ornaments yet, and Christmas isn't very far away.

As to the wood choice... Our living room furniture is all ash faux mission(*) style that's been stained some kind of darkish honey color.

I could mail order some ash, but it's not available locally. I'd have real trouble matching the darkish honey stain too, and I've sworn off stains in any event.

So I'm trying to think up something complimentary for the room. Honey-colored ash, "golden oak" particle board entertainment center, beige carpet with a dark blue remnant in front of the couch, sky blue walls with cobalt trim. The carpet will eventually become probably parquet floor tile some day. I'm sort of leaning toward red oak, but I'm also thinking about walnut, cherry, mahogany, soft maple, and knotty pine as contenders.

Price wise, pine wins, plus SWMBO has a number of craft show pieces (including the basket I'm replacing) made from pine that has had a touch of Minwhacks slapped on it, with no other finish. She has a lot of that stuff, and might dig it if I did something similarly cheesy looking.

I'm leaning away from that, toward something a bit more dignified. I'm seeing maple in my head, but I'm dubious about how that would look with this honey ash stuff. Oak keeps coming back due to grain similarites, but oak isn't ash, so it might be better to go with something that's nowhere close than something that's close-but-no-cigar. Then of course there's my beloved walnut, which is great for anything, but maybe not for this.

Opinions?

  • I think it's "mission." It's pretty blocky stuff, characterized by side panels that feature grooves full of closely-spaced slats.
Reply to
Silvan

a sewing box, with slanted side covers

/ \ with the slanting sides about a foot? box about 2 feet \ / long? and a footish tall

a sliding drawer inside, a flat across the top aboput 3-4" wide, with a handle to carry it... mounted on spindles on each end, with fee so it can set on teh floor?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Get her a pussycat. It makes crocheting ever so much more interesting. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Nah. We have two push sticks already. I've been telling my dogs for years that it's OK to eat them, but they refuse.

Reply to
Silvan

I have a longer term suggestion since time is running out for Xmas. For her B-day or next year, Vol 25 / No 145 of Woodsmith has a BEAUTIFUL paneled blanket chest. There are 2 drawers at the base where she could put her yarn and supplies in and her finished work (afgans etc) could go into the the chest.

The reason why I like this design so much is that it is not "boxy" as most WW mag plans seem to be these days. It has bracketed feet on it that make it look a little more upscale than something that sits completely on the floor. Maple would be great for this. The design also matches pretty close our bedroom fruniture so it will be a nice fit for us.

I have not started it yet because I need to get a little better at some of my skills before I attempt this but I will start soon.

If interested, I can scan a pic out of the article and e-mail to you (or post to a.b.pictures.woodworking) for you and all to see.

Pops

Reply to
Pops

I'm interested, but I can't get binaries groups anymore. My email address is real.

Sounds a bit beyond my reach too. Boxy is good. Boxy is approachable. :)

Never hurts to look beyond the horizon though.

Reply to
Silvan