Braille furniture?

Or just very tactile? Somehow I think the "Please Do Not Touch" sign at the exhibition would be ignored.

RicodJour

Did you see all the lumps on that??

Time to fire up the belt sander and smooth it out!

I have no idea how he made that. He "hand made" it with the "latest material technology". What does that mean?

I assume it meant he hand assembled it after running various panels through a cnc router. I can't see doing al of that with a hammer and chisel.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

There was something, maybe not on that site, about the panels being laminated, so I'm guessing he vacuum-formed them. I've never bent wood, whether steamed or laminated, in more than one plane. I guess there must have been a learning curve.

RicodJour

There was something, maybe not on that site, about the panels being laminated, so I'm guessing he vacuum-formed them. I've never bent wood, whether steamed or laminated, in more than one plane. I guess there must have been a learning curve.

R:

I think its is doably "hand shaped" as I recall the article quoting. Without skill and patience, it would take a machine. My thought would be carving chisels and sandpaper got a big workout along with guide profiles, though the last could be avoided with craft since I doubt there is any .000 mechanical exactitude in the topology, nor need there be.

Once upon a time--but really--I had a chance to buy a desk that looked like an elephant with a rolltop or, better yet, an elephant and a roll top combined. It was superb. It also was so overpowering that you wouldn't see anything else in the rest of the room when you entered...and if you did have a later look arouind, it would have seemed real odd if the decor wasn't the rest of the jungle. Something similar might be a consideration with this piece, although a spacious house that played with furnished geometries....

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

To: Lee Michaels Re: Re: Braille furniture? By: Lee Michaels to rec.woodworking on Thu Apr 14 2011 04:30 pm

nay, i like it the way it is.... :-D

Reply to
Internetking

Also, you'd need a sign saying "Please do not put anything on top, it'll slip and spill".

So much for form following function.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Kind of reminds me of the RCA console stereo that I've been watching all winter. It had been put out for trash pickup before the first snowfall, got covered when the plow went through, and had been buried in snowdrifts all winter. Maybe I should go pick it up, shellac it, and sell it as "art".

Reply to
J. Clarke

From the designer's web site:

"The once square frame work was hand shaped to follow each laminated panels form"

Another site with some better pictures.

that - better pictures than on the designer's own site. Weird. And the exposed endgrain on the top front corners of the frame pisses me off. It wouldn't have sacrificed anything to have the three frame members meet and hide the endgrain, and considering how much time went into that piece (and how much it must have cost) it seems like the least that he could do.

RicodJour

Chainsaw and 4.5" angle grinder, faster done than described.

Reply to
Father Haskell

RDJ:

From the designer's web site:

"The once square frame work was hand shaped to follow each laminated panels form" Another site with some better pictures.
that - better pictures than on the designer's own site. Weird.

The pictures worked better on the second site for me as well.

And the exposed endgrain on the top front corners of the frame pisses me off. It wouldn't have sacrificed anything to have the three frame members meet and hide the endgrain, and considering how much time went into that piece (and how much it must have cost) it seems like the least that he could do.

If we're getting into theoretical druthers and bold daring, it would have been nice to see what the finished result would be if the piece wrapped the undulations around plane transitions into the end panels while doing away with acute angles and straight lines in members dividing the drawers from the organic whole of the unit. Oh, and what's the rationale for those sharp corners in the end panels which are really underscored by the decision to use color contrast in the scheme? The first thought they evoke is puncturing, which may not be the best complement to bubbling motion which we just may take is the design theme.

The invisible back and bottoms wouldn't unanimously argue for the mandatory full treatment. Yet, if he would have worked the sinuous theme artfully into the legs all the way down before they capitulated to the rectilinear floor for stable contact, that would have signified a real stroke. End grain exposure also, as you observed, shorts sense.

What really makes me wonder is if he undertook modeling efforts to consider how the piece would have finished had it mounted a convincing effort to fight the line everywhere with curves. The work required would have entailed a significant increase in effort but the piece is already "art", not inexpensive and, to my eye, unconventional without the acme of unconventionality being served. It's very, very fine: A work, undoubtedly. Sweeping greatness, however, doesn't much keep company with the "could have beens" that are leftovers from a long look here.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Edward Hennessey

Yep, that would be fast. What would be your guess as to the longevity and stability of a wide-ish panel of non-uniform thickness? I'm guessing it's cracking and/or cupping down the road. Considering that the guy is selling "bespoke" furniture and he's a hoity-toity designer, he's probably getting six grand for that piece. I'd imagine if the thing started prematurely aging his customer would be mighty unhappy and would cause trouble. His choice of laminated construction is the best option.

RicodJour

Michael Kenefick

Odd, that - better pictures than on the designer's own site. Weird.

Apologies to everybody for the disrupted line-wrap of the posting above.

The machine has been having some difficulties. Before it's appointment with the metal hospital, a program has been installed which will hopefully effect some reduction of the problem.

As some relevant reward for your kind forbearance, here is a paraphrase which always offers a humorous turn on reviews of many art objects.

Painting Noun The art of protecting wood from the weather and exposing it to the critic.

Credit goes to Ambrose Bierce in his excellent "Devil's Dictionary".

And, RDJ, my bones feel the asking price on that piece will break six large by quite a bit.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

>>> R

MK:

I dunno at night, the spirits that go bump inside it might come out.

But your idea is better: women's unmentionable cabinet.

Then there's this:

Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

F E S T E R I N G !

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LJ:

Now don't you get any evil thoughts about where to stick that vintage "Bubble-Up" decal at the high-flying Bordeaux and brie exhibition opening....though if you want an invite, I'll wangle you one.

But, Jumping Jehosaphat, I'd love to see any picture that arises in consequence of your appearance.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Y'mean checking the uric acid resistance of the finish? My hip would surely never make the distance if it's a very large showing, as I'd likely be lifting a leg on the brie-eaters, too.

(then he remembered how shy he is in public)

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LJ:

I was going to ask about your personal knowledge of ammonia fuming to keep raveled to the thread but think your expression of disdain for this project mark you out as a responsible party.

But, speaking of "sliced volumptousness", a reference grazed me the other day where fellows and femmes of your political bent make merry:

Just one favor though, no pictures.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

That looks like something put together by the scat crew, not my bent at all.

-- If only he'd wash his neck, I'd wring it. -- John Sparrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Egad. That's what I get for letting the whisper go in one ear and out a hunt-and-peck finger. Next time, I'll get it in writing.

Checking further, the reference I was meant to convey for your consideration is:

Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey