Brad point drill bits

Page 1 of 4
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this Craftsman set:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00966264000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the main issue might be "run out".
Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?
Thanks, Bill

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-brad-point-wood-bit-set-1637.html
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/29-piece-brad-point-wood-drill-bit-set-35837.html
Really, try them out. What do you have to lose?

Larry W wrote:

Compare the pictures near the drill tips.
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 02:32:40 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

(You owe me a monitor and keyboard, Bill.)

I"d almost bet they were made in China, just like the $1 bits.

No, steel quality and initial sharpness. I was happily surprised.

I have some of these, and they're SteelX brand. Surprisingly good, but I'm not using them on hardwoods. YMMV

Not much!
-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams
Larry Jaques wrote:

I thought so too. But I took another look at the picture of the item. Near the top of each bit it say "Germany". A family member wanted to buy me something for Christmas, but I can't send them to Lee Valley.
Bill

Why not. If you buy junk you'll just throw them away and spend even more money replacing them. Does that make sense?
Bill wrote:

Actually, after reading J. Clarke's post, maybe I can work something out (7 pc set for $54). Maybe I just need a gift card from Lee Valley to help! :)
Bill

You CERTAINLY don't want to send them to Searz. Ye Gods, man, have a heart. Sure it wasn't "Made for Germany in China"?
-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

I thought so too. But I took another look at the picture of the item. Near the top of each bit it say "Germany". A family member wanted to buy me something for Christmas, but I can't send them to Lee Valley.
Bill
------
Have you been in a Lee Valley store lately? They are going downhill fast. They are starting to sell some more junk now. Coffee cup lid rollers? Key chains? Balsam wood airplanes? Chinese made electronic weather stations that are sold at Zellers or Walmart? They've really expanded their stores now and unfortunately to pay the bills they have to sell cheaper Chinese stuff.
Still we got all our new cabinet knobs there a couple of months ago but the level of junk they carry is increasing.
Staff behind the counter are still as wonderful as you remember them though. That hasn't changed, at least yet.
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 23:12:47 -0500, The Henchman wrote:

The catalogs are just as bad. Some years ago I complained to a friend about Lands End not carrying the sailing supplies they used to. He replied that all stores eventually morph into clothing stores. Since then I've concluded he was right. Lee Valley is just in the early stages of that transition :-).

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

--------------------------- The bottom really fell out of Lands End when they were acquired by Sears & Roebuck.
Sometimes you think you are looking at a K-Mart catalog instead of Lands End.
These days you still have LL Bean.
Lew

Land's End was sold to Sears. That tell you anything? Maybe not, since Sears now sells Land End clothing in the stores. That's a fairly significant upgrade.
FInancial goals change for retailers. Part of it is debt service; "improving shareholder value" is a larger part. In times of financial change (read: stress), stores will change their product mix, number of products, stock levels, and probably will consolidate vendors. (DAGS "category manager")
Several years ago, I ended a four year stint in retail Hell for a big-box. In returning to the store (as a customer) over the intervening years, I've noticed those changes in action: the gondolas are no longer topped with risers holding additional stock, there are few products in each department, there are cheaper products (and, to differentiate, less expensive products as well) being stocked.
I can only guess at the net change in store dolllar volume, but my guess would be it would be trending down once you adjust for the effect of additional big-box stores arriving in the area.
Back to your original comment about Sears and to the Hentchman's rant about Lee Valley... They are adjusting to a changed market. And it youu went by the catalog, you'd also thing that Rockler was supporting itself on the sale of coffee mugs and Bench Cookies. (I can personally assure you that's not been their total income, though.)

I'd believe that to be true of Garret Wade, but I don't see much difference in LV. Of course, I've never been in one of the stores. Get the catalog, use the web site and see a booth at a WW show now and then.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00966264000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
Bill,
Give Lee Valley a look:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pB247&cat=1,180,42240,45534,42240
The also have some info about brad point bits.
Bob S.
On 12/2/2010 7:10 PM, BobS wrote:

I have the Lee Valley brad point bits. I really like them. They are sharp enough that they are a little scary to use. I received a top rating in one of the woodworking magazine tests a couple of years ago.
Dan
"Bill" wrote:

----------------------- Mutually exclusive terms.
When you going to get out of the cheap seats.
You want brad point drills, try McFeelys, WW Grainger (Same company these days), McMaster-Carr, Rockler, Lee Valley, etc.
Notice Home Depot & Lowes didn't make the list.
Lew
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:36:06 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

You guys gotta remember, Craftsman doesn't MAKE the stuff, nor does Granger, McMaster-Carr, Lee Valley, They all either have them made to their spec or rebrand/package product from other manufacturers. The fact they are German and not Chinese means there is a high likelihood they are reasonable quality - and quite possibly either identical to, are at least equal to, the product you would buy from one or more of the referenced suppliers.
Most likely either Miebach, Colt, Famag, or Diemar.
They don't come much better than either of those.

. Lee Valley is a partial exception to that. At least some of the Vertitas stuff is made in house.
As for the brad boints, they state: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pB247&cat=1,180,42240 Starting with a top-of-the-line American-made twist drill, we reshape and sharpen the tips on a state-of-the-art Swiss CNC grinder. Made from high-speed steel, the bits are not subject to burning, and stay sharp about 10 times as long as carbon steel bits.

Lee valley has ALL their stuff made for them, last I heard. They don't have the forges etc required to manufacture the stuff. It will be made for them, to their spec - not relabelled from someone else.
This seems like a good place to ask this newbe question:
It you bore a hole with a 7/32" brad point bit, is it reasonable to expect to be able to tap a 1/4" dowel into it? I have to assume this is why they make 7/32". Is the dowel generally chosen to be of soft wood to accommodate this?
Bill