Brad point drill bits

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this Craftsman set:

know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

try them out. What do you have to lose?

Reply to
Larry W

Compare the pictures near the drill tips.

Reply to
Bill

>> I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping

Bill,

Give Lee Valley a look:

also have some info about brad point bits.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I have the Lee Valley brad point bits. I really like them. They are sharp enough that they are a little scary to use. I received a top rating in one of the woodworking magazine tests a couple of years ago.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

Stubby bits whip less, would be preferred for dowel joints. No experience with this make, just an example:

Father Haskell

>> I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping that

Don't know if they are good or not as I've never tried them . Lee Valley has some very good ones (made in USA last I looked) that were highly rated in Fine Woodworking a few years back. I've been using them quite a while and like them a lot.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

(You owe me a monitor and keyboard, Bill.)

I"d almost bet they were made in China, just like the $1 bits.

No, steel quality and initial sharpness. I was happily surprised.

I'm not using them on hardwoods. YMMV

Not much!

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lee Valley has a set of 7 from 1/8 to 1/2 for 54--those are IIRC the top rated bit in Fine Woodworking's shootout.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I thought so too. But I took another look at the picture of the item. Near the top of each bit it say "Germany". A family member wanted to buy me something for Christmas, but I can't send them to Lee Valley.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

if that's too many...

Reply to
Steve

----------------------- Mutually exclusive terms.

When you going to get out of the cheap seats.

You want brad point drills, try McFeelys, WW Grainger (Same company these days), McMaster-Carr, Rockler, Lee Valley, etc.

Notice Home Depot & Lowes didn't make the list.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Why not. If you buy junk you'll just throw them away and spend even more money replacing them. Does that make sense?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You guys gotta remember, Craftsman doesn't MAKE the stuff, nor does Granger, McMaster-Carr, Lee Valley, They all either have them made to their spec or rebrand/package product from other manufacturers. The fact they are German and not Chinese means there is a high likelihood they are reasonable quality - and quite possibly either identical to, are at least equal to, the product you would buy from one or more of the referenced suppliers.

Most likely either Miebach, Colt, Famag, or Diemar.

They don't come much better than either of those.

Reply to
clare

Actually, after reading J. Clarke's post, maybe I can work something out (7 pc set for $54). Maybe I just need a gift card from Lee Valley to help! :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

At less than a quater each, average, they are likely high quality Chinese bits. The TiN coating just makes them LOOK expensive and/or good.

Reply to
clare

>> And

Yeah Steve, less than a quarter a piece--probably really sharp! :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thank you. I copied the list. There are a couple there with which I'm not acquainted. BTW, I noticed tonight that Home Depot had a 6 piece Brad point drill set for 14.99. I didn't bite.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

wrote.>>

. Lee Valley is a partial exception to that. At least some of the Vertitas stuff is made in house.

As for the brad boints, they state:

with a top-of-the-line American-made twist drill, we reshape and sharpen the tips on a state-of-the-art Swiss CNC grinder. Made from high-speed steel, the bits are not subject to burning, and stay sharp about

10 times as long as carbon steel bits.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

>> I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping

Regardless of where you ultimately buy them, once you have them - or maybe before - you'll start dreaming of a set of stop collars for them.

My advice is, give up the dream. If you get split collars you'll find that you have to tighten them so much that they can become next to impossible to get off. If you get collars that fasten with a set screw you'll find that they don't lie perpendicular to the bit. Either kind can and will mar whatever you are drilling. Both kinds also get packed up with chips.

Reply to
dadiOH